Question Abrupt drop in connection speed as well as other irregularities ?

Aug 21, 2022
Router Model: G3100, from Verizon

As of late (one and a half weeks ago maybe?), my ethernet connection seems like it has been degraded in streaming performance as well as other issues. Before I started experiencing issues, Youtube playback was seamless when using high definition settings. Now, it struggles to keep up 144p video playback, frequently stuttering and stopping. Chrome also says "network error - download failed" at times when downloading files- I've bypassed this by canceling and resuming the download multiple times (the download progresses every time I cancel and start redownloading).

These issues seem to be a problem only on this one computer.

Router speed test returns 500-800 mbps download and similar upload on Ookla and Google Fiber.

I've tried:
  • switching DNS
  • verizon's troubleshooter
  • rebooting router
  • resetting the PC ("keep my files" "local download"), failed- entered a boot loop because it lost power while resetting, reverted to before the reset automatically
  • resetting the PC ("keep my files" "local download"), successfully done this time
  • factory resetting router
  • resetting the PC ("remove everything" "local download")
  • replugging the ethernet cable (which is directly from router to computer)
Also tried flushing the DNS, verified the integrity of files using sfc, used dism, did ipconfig /renew

secure boot is off, if that's relevant- but that was changed after the issues started appearing.

safe mode w/ networking also has the same video playback issue (the file downloading error I didn't try to test, it's inconsistent in when it shows up)

I'm lost on what the problem could be, so if anyone has any ideas, those would be really appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results. [Note: you should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retype everything.

= = = =

Try another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable. Try the existing cable on another known working computer. Determine if the problems follow the cable or stay with the computer.

= = = =

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings or information events that began about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

Reliability History presents a time line format that can be very helpful towards discovering problems or patterns.

Event Viewer is more difficult to use but with some time and effort you can work through the logs to look for related error codes, etc.

Update History may prove helpful as well: any problem or failed updates?

= = = =

This router?

https://www.verizon.com/supportreso...documents/internet/fios-router-user-guide.pdf

As I understand the documentation the router has logs available. Reference Page 157. The logs may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Aug 21, 2022
Thank you for the reply!

System specs:

ipconfig /all results:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-DLML5OO
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mynetworksettings.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mynetworksettings.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-1B-0D-9B-FB-39
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:4040:a846:3300:900a:a578:e19e:e11c(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2600:4040:a846:3300:a84f:c441:d74f:32d4(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::900a:a578:e19e:e11c%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.248(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 22, 2022 1:53:53 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 23, 2022 11:32:59 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::3ebd:c5ff:fe61:f0a5%13
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 102505229
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2A-8F-30-1A-1C-1B-0D-9B-FB-39
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:4040:a846:3300::1
2600:4040:a846:3300::1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

While swapping the cable, I realized that my PC is connected to a switch and then to the router. I don't think that either the cable or the switch is the problem, though. I tried swapping the cable and doing a connection directly to the router- neither worked.

Reliability History doesn't reveal all too much. It doesn't reveal anything past 8/17/22 (I think that's the date of which I reset my computer with "remove everything"). Although, there's a hardware error there that reads (the time might be wrong):
============
Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎8/‎17/‎2022 7:11 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: ffff868627bf25b0
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19043
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
===========

No failed updates in Update History.

Will take a look at the router logs and see if I can make out anything in event history.

Thanks!

Maybe some sites in china you can't get to. There are very few sites that only have ipv6 addresses.

IPv6 has been the "future of the internet" almost since I first did networking more than 20yrs ago. It is still crap. For whatever reason the IPv6 does not have as good routes as IPv4 and it seems very unstable.
I almost can't count the number of people on this forum we recommend turning it off and it fixes strange issues.

I really can't see why IPv6 is even needed anymore. Nat has solved most the issues that IPv6 was designed to fix. With the moving of data to the "cloud" IPv4 addresses can more efficiently be used compared to when a company had to have their own blocks of IP and ran their own data centers.

I tend to avoid it because it allows all the sites that collect data on the internet to track all the way down to individual device since it many times contains the mac address of you machine in the IPv6 address. This is one of those things they never though of when they designed it, I guess they figured nobody would abuse people privacy as much as they do.