Absence of 5GHz WiFi in a phone - does it matter?

Feb 16, 2018
Hello,
I'm choosing a new phone right now and the only phones that meet my requirements are Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 and Xiaomi Redmi Note 5. Since MIUI is very ugly Android distribution in my opinion, Asus seems to be my only option (I've been using it for approximately 3 years now and it wasn't the best experience). But when I looked closer to the specs, I saw that this phone does not support 5GHz WiFi.

I don't have 5GHz router at home since it cannot cover my whole house with signal and I have just 15Mbps connection, so the speed is perfectly fine even on the 2,4GHz band. I also almost never use Bluetooth, and if yes, I transfer some files and turn it off, so I'm not afraid of interference.

But I'm worried about public places like restaurants and especially hotels, where I'm quite often and data are very expensive in my country, so I definitely need connection to the public networks.
Would I be able to connect in places like this? Are there a lot of hotels that use their APs only on the 5GHz band? I have a phone (Redmi Note 2) that has support for 5GHz WiFi but it doesn't show to which frequency I'm connecting to, so I have no idea what the situation about this is.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
For your phone, you really just need 2.4ghz. 5ghz is faster, but it does not travel through walls well at all. This is why it has such limited range. Hotels are going to use 2.4 because the 5ghz wont travel through the rooms. They would literally have to put a router in every room.

I would not worry about it.
For your phone, you really just need 2.4ghz. 5ghz is faster, but it does not travel through walls well at all. This is why it has such limited range. Hotels are going to use 2.4 because the 5ghz wont travel through the rooms. They would literally have to put a router in every room.

I would not worry about it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS