[SOLVED] Absolute nightmare Win10 bandwidth consumption issues

Jan 15, 2020
For about the last three weeks my internet has been getting throttled hard by, likely windows 10 background services It's gone from getting 600kb/s down to about 60kb/s down on steam torrents, etc. Task manager does not show which services is using the network.

It definitely does not seem to be a software or malware issue as when I tether my mobile data connection I get about 200-300kb/s (with spikes) which is mostly normal for that.

Some of the 1000 things i've tried:
Enabling metered connection, (regediting the ethernet connection to make it think it is wifi)
Disabling BITS and windows update services
Using Netlimiter to see where the bandwidth is being used(yields no results)
Using resource manager to see where the bandwidth is being used(yields no results)
Hard reset of modem
Changing channel on modem
Being the only connection to the modem
Scanning with windows defender and malware anti bytes
Installing TCP optimizer
Using selfish net to ensure I'm the only one on the network
Disabling Wi-Fi
Fresh, updated install of windows 10
Uninstalling network drivers
Tons of regedits that other people claim solved their issue

and probably at least 15 other tutorials which did not solve my issues.

I seriously want to just roll back to windows 7 and not have to deal with this absolute head wrecking BS
Please help me networking wizards ;(( I am at my witts ends

Jan 15, 2020
For about the last three weeks my internet has been getting throttled hard by, likely windows 10 background services It's gone from getting 600kb/s down to about 60kb/s down on steam torrents, etc. Task manager does not show which services is using the network.

It definitely does not seem to be a software or malware issue as when I tether my mobile data connection I get about 200-300kb/s (with spikes) which is mostly normal for that.

Some of the 1000 things i've tried:
Enabling metered connection, (regediting the ethernet connection to make it think it is wifi)
Disabling BITS and windows update services
Using Netlimiter to see where the bandwidth is being used(yields no results)
Using resource manager to see where the bandwidth is being used(yields no results)
Hard reset of modem
Changing channel on modem
Being the only connection to the modem
Scanning with windows defender and malware anti bytes
Installing TCP optimizer
Using selfish net to ensure I'm the only one on the network
Disabling Wi-Fi
Fresh, updated install of windows 10
Uninstalling network drivers
Tons of regedits that other people claim solved their issue

and probably at least 15 other tutorials which did not solve my issues.

I seriously want to just roll back to windows 7 and not have to deal with this absolute head wrecking BS
Please help me networking wizards ;(( I am at my witts ends

D

Deleted member 14196

maybe you are infected with something. my usage is usually real low. you need to find out what is eating it.

your isp should be able to tell you what ip eats the most bandwidth with their app

Jan 15, 2020
see if you have made these restriction on win 10 https://pixelprivacy.com/resources/windows-privacy-settings/ also disable peer to peer exchang on windows update .

This seemed to solve it for the most part last night, I was getting mostly 40 ping or so with some spikes going too 400-500 for a minute or two.

also weird connection issues started to happen where it would stop detecting the internet connection at all until I restart or wait 5 or 10 minutes

However now, the morning after(computer didnt even restart, on all night) The issue persists :(

Thank you for resolving a large chunk of the issue though!!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS