[SOLVED] ABSOLUTE NOOB HELP !!

Jun 1, 2020
Hi everyone,
Just wanna say thanks for the help to begin with. Basically I have £1000 to spend on a gaming /general use desktop tower, I would absolutely love to build my own but am unsure of the best components to get my money's worth, can you please help me with this and try speak noob terms aha.

Sorry I'm in the UK, sorry for the confusion.

Many thanks guys !!

Last edited:
Solution
so to clarify, the main focus is gaming, with "general use" being things like normal web browsing and whatnot?

If so, here's a build for your budget right now.
However, it might be best to hold off and wait a little bit for the new stuff to come out, which can become options for components, or alternatively will make current gen stuff cheaper.

I am providing two builds since I don't know if this budget is to include monitor, mouse, keyboard or not.

This is just the PC:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£158.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£114.95 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
so to clarify, the main focus is gaming, with "general use" being things like normal web browsing and whatnot?

If so, here's a build for your budget right now.
However, it might be best to hold off and wait a little bit for the new stuff to come out, which can become options for components, or alternatively will make current gen stuff cheaper.

I am providing two builds since I don't know if this budget is to include monitor, mouse, keyboard or not.

This is just the PC:
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£103.52 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB TUF Gaming X3 OC Video Card (£357.05 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£69.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM PST - Value Pack 53 CFM 120 mm Fans (£19.28 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £963.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-01 23:54 BST+0100

And this is PC with extras:
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£53.93 @ BT Shop)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card (£156.97 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair VS 650 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£54.99 @ Corsair UK)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM PST - Value Pack 53 CFM 120 mm Fans (£19.28 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£182.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Xtrfy XG1-R-LED-UK Wired Standard Keyboard (£51.12 @ CCL Computers)
Custom: Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse (£49.71 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £982.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-02 00:03 BST+0100

Solution
Jun 1, 2020
Thank you so much for the help !! I already have a mouse/keyboard and monitor. Would you happen to know when these new components are coming as I can hold off for a little bit?
Many thanks

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
oh i didnt see you said 1000 pounds,i thought dollars.That leaves us with 200$ more to work with :)

Check this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RsgRXv
you have to use the website
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com
for accurate builds since price and availability of components varies around the world.

And from what I can tell, things are quite a bit more expensive in the UK for parts.
You can't just look at components available in the US, and simply do an exchange rate for USD to Pounds and call it a day.

Also, a problem with your build is that you put two kits together for RAM and that's a no no.
While they may possibly work together, it is not guaranteed, and you don't want to risk them not working well together and so it is better to just buy RAM in full kits.
Also, also, 32GB of RAM is a bit much for gaming. 16GB is still plenty.

Another also is the RTX 2070.
The 5700 XT performance is on par with a 2070 super and for cheaper than the 2070.

If the user in question was going to take advantage of any particular feature that only comes with NVIDIA, then I understand choosing NVIDIA, but their budget unfortunately doesn't allow for silly things like RTX On, and they didn't say anything about streaming so I don't think they are going to want one in order to use NVENC encoding, so for the price, the AMD card is a much better choice for the 1k budget.

The case you picked, while fancy looking, doesn't have much room inside for building in, and has poor airflow, and comes with only 1 fan I think.

Don't take this the wrong way, not trying to put you down, just making observations about things that don't make sense to help you improve on building knowledge as many others did for me at one point in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj0gany

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Thank you so much for the help !! I already have a mouse/keyboard and monitor. Would you happen to know when these new components are coming as I can hold off for a little bit?
Many thanks
there's no official release date set yet for Ryzen 4000 series, but I would expect information about new graphics cards from AMD and NVIDIA as well as new AMD CPU's to happen fairly soon with a release date most likely sometime in the 4th quarter of this year.

TRENDING THREADS