[SOLVED] Absurdly high temperatures with a good cooler

Feb 21, 2021
First of all, I'm new here so like idk if I'm even in the right subforum for this but whatever:
A while ago I built my own pc on the X58 Platform with a Xeon E5620 4c/8t and a X2 Eclipse Advanced CPU Cooler. After getting a bit into editing i decided to upgrade to the 6 core 12 thread E5649. My main board is the X58 Pro E, with the latest bios (8F). So I went and overclocked it to a stable 4,6 Ghz only to realize that it's overheating as <Mod Edit>. Thinking my current cpu cooler was maybe not enough, i went about buying a Scythe fuma 2 and slapped it on there with some thermal grizzly kryonaut. To find out it still overheats to 95°C , after which it decided to throttle to 2,1 Ghz. Worried that my case might not provide enough airflow I rebuilt my pc as an open air built, to no avail. So I swapped out thermal paste, reseated the cooler multiple times, forced it to 100% at all times, even held it in place because "maybe the mounting force ain't enough". All this wasn't helping tho so I downclocked to 3.7 Ghz to realize nothing had changed. I'm completely out of ideas right now, anyone know anything I could do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
That is wierd, because every post I read (wasn't really educated on that particular Xeon, so had to go get some info), they all post 4.2GHz for a daily and 4.4/4.5GHz for breaking records.

In bios settings White is kosher, Yellow is pushing it, Red is a one shot deal then back off. If you aren't pushing LN2 or Peltier, don't go Red in anything, that includes current use, as amperage is just as likely to raise temps as voltage.

Figure power = V x A, so if you are pushing 90A at 1.4v, that's almost 130w through the VRM's. That's almost double the heat output of a stock i5-3570K under a rinky-dink heatsink with no fan. Even a more moderate 60A is still 90w, double that of an i3. And that's per phase.

And ppl wonder why their VRM's are...
Feb 21, 2021
So at first I ran 1.45V, then i downclocked to 1.39V, then to 1.37V. Nothing had changed and that all happened in a period of like 3-4 Days, so the damage must've had its limits

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Voltage range for that cpu is 0.75v-1.35v. You should be under that limit as much as possible. That includes the uncore. Should be using a 200-215 BCLK with a 20-22 max multiplier.

Xeons are workhorse cpus, not racehorse cpus, just because they remain stable at certain voltages doesn't mean they are healthy doing so.

Even the 200w Fuma2 is a little on the small side considering your OC was pushing those kinds of wattage limits.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Feb 21, 2021
The multiplier on em is 20 at best, considering it's yellow in the bios (prolly a boost mode or sth idk). Just find it weird how this cpu which I've seen multiple times running at 4.5-4.8 Ghz on many systems on the internet with way worse coolers than mine (like we talking evo 212) ain't supposed to have more than maybe 3.7-3.8. hm what gives I'll try it and just see how it goes

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That is wierd, because every post I read (wasn't really educated on that particular Xeon, so had to go get some info), they all post 4.2GHz for a daily and 4.4/4.5GHz for breaking records.

In bios settings White is kosher, Yellow is pushing it, Red is a one shot deal then back off. If you aren't pushing LN2 or Peltier, don't go Red in anything, that includes current use, as amperage is just as likely to raise temps as voltage.

Figure power = V x A, so if you are pushing 90A at 1.4v, that's almost 130w through the VRM's. That's almost double the heat output of a stock i5-3570K under a rinky-dink heatsink with no fan. Even a more moderate 60A is still 90w, double that of an i3. And that's per phase.

And ppl wonder why their VRM's are hitting 90°C+.

The E5649 is 80w TDP. That's consuming 80w at base speeds (2.53GHz) no turbo and no hyperthreading. Basically a bone stock 6core cpu. Once you enable the boosts, or OC, and add in the hyperthreading, you can expect a serious jump in wattage output. There's no way ppl are using a 140w Hyper212 and getting even reasonable temps at 4.5-4.6GHz. My 3770k (77w) under a 250w Cryorig R1 Ultimate at 4.6GHz @ 1.232v got 74°C. Expect a Hyper212 to be hitting close to 100°C as the cpu will be outputting right at 130-180w at those speeds.

http://valid.x86.fr/3i7d49

Last edited:
Solution