[SOLVED] AC 7260 upgrade to AX200

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
Hi,
does it worth it to upgrade my Thinkpads t440s wlan card (AC7260) with the new, wifi 6 card (AX200) ?
I dont have wifi6 router now. Maybe soon i will have. But except that, i will notice any improvment on my wifi connection-experience , without a wifi 6 router ?
Is there any difference in quality and behavior between those 2 cards ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Will likely be exactly the same if you are lucky. Wifi6 still has some bugs. It should drop back to the 802.11ac. Now if you had a fancy 4 antenna card in your pc that could do 4x4 many of the wifi6 cards are going to be slower because it is very rare for them to have 4 antenna so they would run 802.11ac using only say 2. I don't know if they have got 4x4 on wifi6 stable yet, you don't see much about it.

Unless you really need the card I would wait on any upgrade. Wifi6e is "soon" on the market. This has the added ability to use the 6gig radio band. There is massive bandwidth available and hopefully for a while we won't overlap the neighbors wifi channels as much. I suspect this new radio band will actually be more...
Will likely be exactly the same if you are lucky. Wifi6 still has some bugs. It should drop back to the 802.11ac. Now if you had a fancy 4 antenna card in your pc that could do 4x4 many of the wifi6 cards are going to be slower because it is very rare for them to have 4 antenna so they would run 802.11ac using only say 2. I don't know if they have got 4x4 on wifi6 stable yet, you don't see much about it.

Unless you really need the card I would wait on any upgrade. Wifi6e is "soon" on the market. This has the added ability to use the 6gig radio band. There is massive bandwidth available and hopefully for a while we won't overlap the neighbors wifi channels as much. I suspect this new radio band will actually be more improvement than anything that has been out for a long time. Most wifi problems are everyone stomping on each other because there is not room to share using the current plans. wifi6 actually uses all the 5g channels for 1 user when it is running certain types of 160mhz channels.

Solution