[SOLVED] AC Adapter alternating between charging and not charging - power issue?

Jan 19, 2019
My XPS 15 (9550) AC adapter alternates between charging and not charging my computer when plugged in while the computer is on. The charger has a LED light to indicate when it's plugged in, and it pulses between dark and light when plugged in about once per second, and the battery charging status lines up with this pulsing.

This issue doesn't exist when the computer is off and plugged in, but I'm worried that the adapter might be underpowering and toasting the life of my battery. Is this a power issue, and should I continue charging it, or should I search out a replacement?

Solution
My Dell XPS-13 is doing the same thing. It does this when it gets to about 65% of a charge and it basically won't charge the battery past 65% (the exact percentage varies slightly). When I'm using it plugged in, I think it just keeps topping off the battery up to 65% (light is on while doing so), then it stops charging (light goes off). I suspect that I probably need a new battery, but I think it also may have gotten this way by using the laptop a lot with the charger plugged in.

The more I use it without the charger plugged in, let it drain almost completely down, then power off the laptop and plug it in to let it fully charge, the higher the charge amount gets on the next charge. I know that Lithium Ion batteries don't have...

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
My Dell XPS-13 is doing the same thing. It does this when it gets to about 65% of a charge and it basically won't charge the battery past 65% (the exact percentage varies slightly). When I'm using it plugged in, I think it just keeps topping off the battery up to 65% (light is on while doing so), then it stops charging (light goes off). I suspect that I probably need a new battery, but I think it also may have gotten this way by using the laptop a lot with the charger plugged in.

The more I use it without the charger plugged in, let it drain almost completely down, then power off the laptop and plug it in to let it fully charge, the higher the charge amount gets on the next charge. I know that Lithium Ion batteries don't have memory the way the old NiCad batteries did, but they also don't like being continually topped off either. I don't know if the battery is damaged or worn out or the charging system in the laptop is somehow trying to protect the battery from the way I was using it.

Anyway, my conclusion is to let it run down, then let it charge fully when not using it with laptop powered down and repeat that for a couple weeks. If no further improvement, then I'll probably take either order a battery online and install a new battery or take it into a local repair shop and discuss with them.

FYI, I have two Dell chargers and mine behaves the same with both so I know it's not one bad charger.

Solution