Question AC/DC Laptop Charger - Rewired, blue wire?, Not charging

Bmillerx94

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Hi,

So i accidently ran over my original charger for my Dell Inspiron (don't ask) last night.

Amazingly, laptop manufacturers still haven't figured out how to standardize a plug for a laptop - like virtually every other electronics industry has done since the beginning of time. Its too complicated for them? Idk.

I crushed the actual AC/DC inverter part of the cable. I have multiple laptop chargers in my graveyard of cables---of course---their plugs are all different.

I spliced my Dell's cable end into another similar adapter. The inverters compare like this:

Dell = 19.5V, Other = 19V
Both are 65W
Both 3.42A

Dell wires: Black (hot), White (grnd), Blue (???)
'Other' wires: Black (hot), White (grnd)

I plugged in the cable after splicing and computer recognizes the connection but does NOT charge - and I believe this is because i don't have a blue wire connected to the charger.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Update**

Further research suggests the blue wire is a signal wire of some kind, which i figured.
No feasible way to make this work - guess i'll just get a new charger.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
You should always use the appropriate charging/power adapter/brick meant for it's designated device. You can consider yourself lucky since there are threads here where the wrong charger sent a functioning laptop to the graveyard. Yes, you should hunt down a replacement power brick meant for your specific laptop. On that note, you might also want to understand how you ran over the power brick, to avoid the same issue happening again.