AC Standard capable of connecting to 2.4ghz?

Solution
You are still confusing terms.

There are the Standards that define the protocols and you have implementations in equipment.

A standard is a document it only talks about the requirements to function. The 802.11ac standard requires 80mhz of bandwidth which means it can not run on the 2.4g band...at least legally. This means the standard itself is not backward compatible because you can not run 802.11ac on 2.4g.

Now some piece of hardware may implement the 802.11ac standard AND the 802.11g,b,n standards. That particular implementation of hardware would be backward compatible BUT the standard itself is not.
Very technically since 802.11ac can only run on the 5g band and 802.11g and 802.11b can only run on the 2.4g band it would not be considered backward compatible. 802.11ac 5g radios could run 802.11a though.

This compatibility statement is confusing the radio chip itself with the data encoding. The radio chip can run on 2.4g or 5g and if it runs on 2.4 it will support 802.11b,g & n. So a radio chip that has dual band ability can run any of the protocols.

Reactions: supermanu15

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Uit says that as it can still use b g n standards

It can even run N over 5 ghz if you have a 5ghz N receiver

Ac speed's require the use of 5ghz ans one router wou use use the whole 2.4ghz spectrum

It likely doesn't say that exactly. A router might say it is backward compatible but the actual definition of 802.11ac likely does not actually say that. There is a difference between the standard itself and some hardware implementation that also include support for other protocols.

You also have lots on non technical journalists that write articles that are meant for the general public so they may be be careful about details.

You want to know what the 802.11ac standard says you go to the ieee site and start reading. You will find 802.11n though is now a subset of 802.11ac but there is really no mention of 802.11b or 80.211g

supermanu15

Distinguished
i actually can't see any article that it can ride off of the 2.4ghz but theoretically it can right because it can support b and g? or maybe most wireless ac routers have 2.4ghz antennas built into them so it can support legacy devices still riding off the old standards just preparing people off to the next standard kind of like how there are 4 pairs of copper wires in RJ45 cables and only having them use only 2 pairs of those during the cat 5 only days so when they implement cat5e or older standards it'd be a piece of cake migrating old devices off the new standard right?

But going back to the thread, i just can't find any article online saying it has a 2.4 ghz antenna in it, just a theory I have in mind because how is it suppose to communicate with the standards older than N?

You are still confusing terms.

There are the Standards that define the protocols and you have implementations in equipment.

A standard is a document it only talks about the requirements to function. The 802.11ac standard requires 80mhz of bandwidth which means it can not run on the 2.4g band...at least legally. This means the standard itself is not backward compatible because you can not run 802.11ac on 2.4g.

Now some piece of hardware may implement the 802.11ac standard AND the 802.11g,b,n standards. That particular implementation of hardware would be backward compatible BUT the standard itself is not.

Reactions: supermanu15
Solution

supermanu15

Distinguished

which is why i said that there might be wireless ac routers that have built in 2.4 ghz inside them to support legacy devices, i know the standard, its just that i was wondering if my theory is correct. My theory is that wireless ac only works on the 5 ghz spectrum and when they say that it supports legacy devices riding off of the 2.4 ghz spectrum it just means they have a 2.4 ghz antenna inside the wireless ac access point or router itself

kenzy9

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018

Am I able to connect this Mobo to my usual WIFI..?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-5-WIFI-rev-10#kf

EDIT:
Think I found my answer...
https://superuser.com/questions/1003221/802-11ac-with-a...
Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, supporting 2.4/5 GHz Dual-Band
BLUETOOTH 5
Support for 11ac 160MHz wireless standard and up to 1.73 Gbps data rate
* Actual data rate may vary depending on environment and equipment.
* Intel WIFI driver only support for Win10-64bit