• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Question AC wireless let down?

Gillsimo

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hi good people,
Up until a week ago I had no knowledge of my wireless network, other than cool, I'm connected or panic, I'm not
I'm now a wee bit more versed in the subject....a wee bit, so please excuse my ignorance.
More versed because I swopped over from a 10yr old Dell laptop to a desktop....a Dell Precision T1650/i7 workstation. This, unlike the old lappie, had no wifi or Bluetooth.
Having a fairly hi-end Bluetooth audio dac feeding equally hi-end amp/speakers & paying for Vodafone's best broadband offering whilst enjoying precious little of it's speed....then I opted to buy what I thought might hopefully be a half decent pci card...
an ASUS PCE-AC55BT.
This I assumed, still assume, pairs fine with Vodafone's supplied AC router.
As this was currently connected to the BT main box via a filter and a 20m tel extn cable from the pound shop, I replaced said box for a VDSL output & connected the router directly via a quality half metre cable.
The router is now one metre directly under my pc, through ceiling/floor boards.
I ventured into my router settings & dared to split my SSID's.....!!
I have a 2.4G now, on channel 6 & a 5G on Auto......& my workstation is connected to the 5G.
But....Bluetooth works ok...wifi is noticeably slower than my old lappie & most annoyingly, my old lappie connects within 3sec of my desktop appearing in windows 7/64/Pro.....this ASUS card takes all of three minutes to connect...same O/S.
I read a good few reviews in choosing a card & the wee antenna was often commended...you could move it around to get the best signal.
I can disconnect mine & stuff it under my pillow...'cos it makes no odds at all to connect it?...though saying that, how do I get the best signal?...it's not like fiddling with my FM radio is it...how do I monitor my signal whilst moving and/or removing the antenna?
The card came with a disc, which I used....but I kinda expect something new to appear after installing a new piece of hardware....a wee control/settings panel or the like...but ah heck all with this one.....install drivers for wifi...done, install drivers for Bluetooth...done....bye.
Tried all the available drivers from Asus & Intel but take your pick, nothing improves or changes regardless.
Dunno...in ignorance I just dunno.....most every review I read had folk in awe of the improvements attained with this card + I reckon I'm due some improvement having given the router/connection tlc.
Yet for me....a trip into the loft to dig out an old, very old, Linksys card & a usb Bluetooth dongle from China.
The card, not being low profile, doesn't seat too well & the dongle takes up a usb slot......but I can listen to a bit of music & more importantly, connect to & use the internet better than with my laptop....and way better than AC, apparently?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS