AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfingDude

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
The test results didn't disclose many of the factors affecting WiFi range and performance, I'd like to know more about these. I think the key factors are:
* Nearest other WiFi unit. Interferance from nearby networks can hurt the signal-to-noise ratio.
* Proximity to walls and ground, as reflected signals may affect signal strength up or down.
* Polarization and coverage pattern, as lobes and nulls are inevitable.

The quantities I am really looking for are:
* Maximum usable range in free air and best conditions.
* Data rate in those conditions.
* Attinuation due to each intervening wall or ceiling on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

With this information I might better evaluate which solution is best for a particular situation.

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I'm sure that I'm not the o only one who has questions. So let me ask:

1. From a distance of n feet means that the distance from the router and device is only n feet? Why put an extender 5 feet from the router?

2. I don't know if the link to how you tested is meaningful. How far away from the extender were your wireless devices? If your extender is only 5 feet away from your router who is to say that the PC 's wireless device won't differ and add a variable to the equation that is not accounted for?

3. Line of site, walls? If y your office is 50 feet as you described how did you test 75 feet?

Jeff_64

Commendable
May 4, 2016
LOL zodiacfml!! man that was a good one hly shit. haha fuck, thats actually a really mean troll when i think about it though because the people that are beginners might take you seriously and actually buy a wifi router and will be really confused when they have to run an ethernet cable to it... but pretty good joke nonetheless i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.