AC3 5.1 HOw to create?

"NBK" <die@spammer.net> wrote in message
news:rN7xc.16624$tH1.763098@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> HI
>
> How does one create 5.1 audio?
>
> Thanks
> NBK

Use Vegas+DVD, which has the ability built in.

Steve King

On a sunny day (Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:17:06 -0500) it happened "Steve King"
<steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in
<57ydnWTi-rhDVFjdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>:

>"NBK" <die@spammer.net> wrote in message
>> HI
>>
>> How does one create 5.1 audio?
>>
>> Thanks
>> NBK
>
>Use Vegas+DVD, which has the ability built in.
>
>Steve King
Or you could use Linux, and combine (the) six mono channels with
multimux http://ip51cf87c4.direct-adsl.nl/panteltje/dvd/ and then
use ffmpeg to code it to AC3, works perfectly.
Lot cheaper too.
JP
PS and perhaps faster.

> Or you could use Linux, and combine (the) six mono channels with
> multimux http://ip51cf87c4.direct-adsl.nl/panteltje/dvd/ and then
> use ffmpeg to code it to AC3, works perfectly.
> Lot cheaper too.
> JP
> PS and perhaps faster.

Last time I checked, ffmpeg doesn't produce 100% compliant AC3 streams.
e.g. they don't work at all on most Pioneer DVD players or PS2s.

> Last time I checked, ffmpeg doesn't produce 100% compliant AC3 streams.
> e.g. they don't work at all on most Pioneer DVD players or PS2s.

Correction. I just found a free AC3 encoder that *does* produce compliant
streams.

http://www.cbu.edu/~nwebb/ac3.html

It's the latest CVS version at the bottom of the page. It's a command line
app but I found it fairly easy to use and the quality seems to be on a par
with other commercial AC3 encoders I've tested. Woohoo!

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 00:31:19 GMT, NBK <die@spammer.net> wrote:

>HI
>
>How does one create 5.1 audio?

Do you mean how, technically, do you add it to a project, or how do
you record/create audio suitable for playback over a 5.1 system?