remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Probably a dumb question but i am new to the building scene and am trying to learn. If i turn the ACC to auto and cant boot does that mean the 4th core on my Phenom II 720 is defective? I have a Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H board. Also can you tell me how to have my build listed so everyone can see it when i ask more of my many dumb (lol) questions. Thanks all

I don't know the answer to your ACC question, but what part of your build list cannot be listed.

Raidmax Smilodon case Phenom II x3 720 4GB DDR2 800 Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4h WD Blue 640GB HDD LG GH22 multi drive Raidmax 500 Watt psu No video card yet(dont ask)
vista premium 64 , look familiar?

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Why yes it does ! I just didnt know if it was showing up or not. I have had people ask what my system was so i wasnt sure. Thank you. Should i ask about the ACC in a different forum?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Assuming that

A) It boots fiine with ACC turned off and

B) you've verified you have a version of the BIOS that will perform unlocks

I would say yes, your 4th core is kaput.

UltraO

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Better doing it from DOS mode, by using either a floppy or usb stick or maybe a cd. Why? Because it is more safe in Windows there are many things that can ruin the flash and if your flash is ruined then you will need to either reflash or get a new bios chip.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I dont know how to do it :( either with a usb or a cd . I dont have a floppy. I see a bios flash option on the Gigabyte website though. Man i dont know. Maybe i should just leave it be. I'm not having any problems but i sure do want to try and unlock that fourth core.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Big sweaty ones !!! Is there anything else i can try to unlock it? I think i am just gonna leave my bios alone for now. If i turn to auto and it doesnt work can i just turn it off to go back to where it was?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Should be able to. As a ? are you certain your motherboard is a confirmed unlocker? I know theres only like 4-5 motherboards it works on, not sure which those are tho.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Did they mention which BIOS they had? Theres a possibility that F2 was the initial AM3 compatability BIOS and would therefore have the unlocking ability.

Schepsel

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
You can try to unlock you X3 720 by a bios setting called "Advanced Clock calibration"
Set it "Per Core" With a setting of "-2" per individual core. If that doesn't work try "0" and try again.
Play with the settings. And torture test with Prime95 for stability.
If you can get it to work stable you are a lucky man. Mine unlocked but failed the stability test @ default speed. :(
If it won't even boot you core Is probably defective as such and you will have to set your setting back to disabled to reset. I unlocked mine with a MA790FXT-UD5P. With the F2 according to Gigabites Bios info for you mobo it should be possible to unlock your core, but I am not aware of any reports regarding attempts with your board.
The X3 720 is a great overclocker with setting "Advanced Clock calibration" to disabled. And is a fine processor for it's price.

With the F2 according to Gigabites Bios info for you mobo it should be possible to unlock your core.

Good luck

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

how the hell do you get the ACC? got the same mobo as you do, yet i don't see the ACC option in my BIOS, do i have to press something or what to get it to show up?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
???
can you be more specific? like, CTRL+F1 on the first BIOS screen or the M.I.T. one? please specify. Am i supposed to hit CTRL+FI, then press enter?