Jan 15, 2020
I was cleaning my PC and my drivers were refusing to update so i did what i usally do which is delete the drivers then reinstall them, but now im unable to. Ive tried to do a factory reset, but that isn't working, what are some solutions? Would it just be easier to just install the OS over again?

Solution
What version of Windows 10 are you on? You might create a Windows 10 installer from another system using the Windows 10 media creation tool. Plug into your system, run setup and tell it to upgrade this PC, and select the option of leaving all of your files etc in place.

With any luck, it will complete leaving your applications etc in place and detect most of your drivers, or at least critical ones like network for example. Once it's fixed, don't mess with drivers unless something stops working, or a new graphics card driver is out or something.

As far as graphics drivers, your best bet if you have an nvidia card is go to nvidia.com, select your card from the list, and download the drivers from them.
Jan 15, 2020
If you know what drivers your network card / NIC / motherboard use you can download them from another computer, put the drivers on a flash drive and install them from there.

Reinstalling the OS shouldn't be needed.

I am not sure how to get them from the other computer, is there a place in program files, ive had a hard time finding a download file.

This is why people shouldn't be updating drivers if they don't know what they are doing. And DO NOT use driver update programs or you really can have issues. Just get your software and security updates and leave drivers alone unless there's something specific you're trying to fix is best imo.

Looking at the link, your nic driver should be under the heading network.

Jan 15, 2020
This is why people shouldn't be updating drivers if they don't know what they are doing. And DO NOT use driver update programs or you really can have issues. Just get your software and security updates and leave drivers alone unless there's something specific you're trying to fix is best imo.

Looking at the link, your nic driver should be under the heading network.
I tried to install all of those in the link, expect the radeon one as i have nvidia. I've updated drivers tons of times in the past, never have had this issue, usally they reinstall during restart or network reset

Hopefully he has a system restore point. Many of the Windows 10 systems I've messed with seem to turn them off by default. The other way to do it, if you have a way to hook wifi to that computer, like if you have a wifi usb adapter around, use that to connect to wifi, go to device manager, and ask it to update the driver using Windows update. Doing that way, it may find it for you.

Yup.. turning on system restore and taking a user checkpoint is always a good thing to do.

What is the make/model of this pc?
A factory reset smacks of a laptop.
That is a drastic solution.

Can you download the proper drivers to a usb stick on another pc and use that to update?

Jan 15, 2020
Yup.. turning on system restore and taking a user checkpoint is always a good thing to do.

What is the make/model of this pc?
A factory reset smacks of a laptop.
That is a drastic solution.

Can you download the proper drivers to a usb stick on another pc and use that to update?
Hello, i cannot factory reset or reset to previous state, i cannot fresh start, it just stops like 50-60% through. I have been trying to install the drivers via usb, but i cannot install/update some due to the family network controller not being found. Today i will try tethering my phone and allowing my desktop to use it's internet, hopefully it can. Otherwose i heard media creation tool will help/reset it. It is a high end desktop so hopefully it can handel a factory reset

Jan 15, 2020
Hello, i cannot factory reset or reset to previous state, i cannot fresh start, it just stops like 50-60% through. I have been trying to install the drivers via usb, but i cannot install/update some due to the family network controller not being found. Today i will try tethering my phone and allowing my desktop to use it's internet, hopefully it can. Otherwose i heard media creation tool will help/reset it. It is a high end desktop so hopefully it can handel a factory reset
Also i am having a hard time finding correct drivers as the asus website's ones are for radieon and not nvidia. I just need to connect my computer to the internet 😭😭

What version of Windows 10 are you on? You might create a Windows 10 installer from another system using the Windows 10 media creation tool. Plug into your system, run setup and tell it to upgrade this PC, and select the option of leaving all of your files etc in place.

With any luck, it will complete leaving your applications etc in place and detect most of your drivers, or at least critical ones like network for example. Once it's fixed, don't mess with drivers unless something stops working, or a new graphics card driver is out or something.

As far as graphics drivers, your best bet if you have an nvidia card is go to nvidia.com, select your card from the list, and download the drivers from them.

Solution
Go to your Device Manager right click the wifi card thats not working

Go down to properties

A pop up box will come up Go over to................... Details

Using the pull down arrow choose..........................Hardware ids

Now copy and paste top line to google and you can find your driver.

You will have to choose where google leads you as to where you feel safe to get driver from.

most of the time majorgeeks has the drivers and I have had no problems through the years with that web site.

Last edited: