Accept Win 10 free offer for later date?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
You can Upgrade, activate, and then rollback to your current OS. But that is rather pointless, and is not 100% guaranteed to actually work.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

I feel more comfortable with the idea of a clean install. I'm not willing to make the upgrade this week and then risk reverting and wrecking my system. I'd rather plan a good clean install. Has there been any rumors around the retail price of Windows 10?

It will be a shame to miss out on the free upgrade I'm just not sure I've liked Microsoft's approach for a new operating system being an upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan

The Retail price of Win 10 has been pretty stable for a year.
Somewhere between $90 and $110, depending on who has it on sale today.
I've seen it as low as $70, on sale from Newegg.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Software isn't available to me in New Zealand from Newegg. I'm looking at $200 NZD to buy it from the Microsoft NZ website.

Can you think of anywhere that sells digital copies that would be available to NZ?

USAFRet

Titan

That is the same price it would be from any valid reseller in NZD.
If you find it much cheaper, it is not valid.

Sellers... basically when you buy Windows 10 you are buying licence key not a physical disc (well you could)

USAFRet

Titan

It does not matter.
You can purchase it as a DVD, USB, or download direct from Microsoft.
But they all come with a valid license key.
Which can be used with the ISO file you can create from the MediaCreation tool.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Strongly considering this but I'm worried the rollback might not go smoothly. I saw a screenshot warning that some apps might have to be reinstalled after the rollback.

I make regular Macrium Reflect system image backups so I suppose I could always restore If I needed to...

Backup everything before doing anything. I did a clean reset from Windows 10 to Windows 8 and now I am using both OS at the same time.

USAFRet

Titan

A Macrium Reflect full disk image is better than relying on the Win 10 roll back function.
Create a new Image, right before you Upgrade.
If the Upgrade fails, or you don't like it....recover from that Image.

I have done this.
It works.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

It's not mainly a matter of whether I like it or not, it's that I wouldn't want to be running my system in the upgraded state for too long. I would rather do the upgrade and get a wee feel for it but then restore my Win 8.1 image to do my backups before doing a Win 10 clean install when I decide too.

Sound doable?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Right, and use the image to rollback instead of the rollback feature?

I think I'm going to go with this, I'm starting to think you'd be silly not to accept a free OS...

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
That image you make with Macrium Reflect is more reliable than the Windows Roll back feature. Of course, it only has what the system was at the moment you made that image.

Overall, Win 10 is mostly a no brainer. But...it's not a 'free OS'. Just an newer version of what you have now.

You have 1 week.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

That's why I wouldn't want to spend too much time in the upgrade environment making system changes etc. Basically I'm looking at this as a way of securing my free upgrade so I can clean install once I'm more prepared. Seem legitimate? I mean it's going to be within the next year sometime maybe sooner.

I haven't really done any restoring with Macrium, in this case I would restore my image from within Macrium after the upgrade right?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
This is the part I wanted to be sure about, I quote from another website:

"Better still, taking advantage of the upgrade doesn’t “consume” or alter your license. This means your Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license will remain as is, allowing you to reactivate as you see fit (subject to any existing licensing agreements)."

So basically once you've accepted the Win 10 upgrade you own Win 10. You could decide to reinstall Win 8 and still own Win 10 for later right?

But in my case If I restore my Win 8.1 system image instead of using the Win 10 rollback feature will Microsoft somehow be able to tell I've done this? Would my Win 8.1 licence be compromised in anyway by doing that? Would the Win 10 licence I obtained still remain legitimate?

I've also heard that if you rollback from Win 10 you only have 30 days back in your previous OS. Can anyone confirm this?

USAFRet

Titan

You don't get to use both. This is an upgrade for your 8.1 license, not a whole new free license.
Yes, they can tell you are using both.

30 days to roll back is correct.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, so I won't be doing anything "wrong" by restoring my system image if I decide too right?

Should I be able to restore an image using Macrium within Windows 10 after the upgrade or will I need to do it with something bootable?

I'm curious as to when you restore an system image and how that works. Does it format the drive and then copy everything back or does it look for what's changed in the particular image your restoring and correct that?

USAFRet

Titan

Correct, nothing 'wrong'.

A Macrium full image will wipe the disk completely, and return it to the state it was when you made the image.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Alright. Do SSD's like to be fully wiped? What about my question regarding where to restore the image from, within Windows 10 after the upgrade or with the Macrium boot environment?