[SOLVED] Acceptable coil whine noise ?

Rui Neves

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Hi ,
I am having some coil whine on my gpu since I bought it my previous gpu didin't have any or at least were not audible .
Mine I can hear it without earphones with earphones at sound volume at at least 20 on Windows is almost inaudible ., I would't
say inaudible at all because I think I can hear it if I focus on the sound again and not on the games or music or whatever , but this coil whine sound only happens when gamimg anyway , on internet I can't hear it at all.
I will leave one recording , as it was recorded very close to gpu the fans are making some noise too , but tgey aren't the problem .
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1dUoXcRTiU4

I know that I've made some other posts about other gpu concerns , and sotry about it , but as I bought it second hand I am just making sure everything is allright and if I can have the gpu at least for some more years .

Pc specs :
XFX rx 580 gts xxx 4gb
Corsair vs550
Msi a88xm-E35
AMD s8 6600k

Give me a new cpu , motherboard and Ram kit (AM4 socket ) hahhah
Just kidding .

If you hear it in games and not when the card isn't being used as much I think it's most likely coil whine and in general coil whine doesn't hurt anything.

If you can deal with it....I would deal with it.

I don't think it will reduce the life of the card.

If you hear it in games and not when the card isn't being used as much I think it's most likely coil whine and in general coil whine doesn't hurt anything.

If you can deal with it....I would deal with it.

I don't think it will reduce the life of the card.

Rui Neves

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Could also be coil whine from your cheap psu.

The XFX cards are notorious for coil whine. It doesnt hurt anything. My 580 does it aswell.
Didin't know that XFX are notorious for that .
Well my PSU had pair with an ASUS r9 280x before , and that card was more power hungry that mine and didin't have coil whine and was hotter than my rx 580

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS