[SOLVED] Acceptable temperatures?

waa_buster

Commendable
Mar 23, 2020
So i finally got the computer in a properly functional case, msi gtx 1070ti armor(stock fans/cooler), i5 9600k cpu (120mm aio) coolermaster nr600 w/ 3 sickleflow 120s and a pushpull on the aio

Temps are 62c cpu and 76 gpu (max temps under load playing mw 1080 on max settings) - i took these temps from hwmonitor after playing for a hour or so.. i never really see temps much higher

i have the cpu oc'd on auto through bios and a decent oc on the 1070ti

Just wondering if these temps are normal or if i need to maybe change the fans or something on the 1070, seems like it dissipates heat quickly but its constantly around that 70* mark under heavy gaming

Wondering if i should consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-F...io+cooler&qid=1592360191&s=electronics&sr=1-7

Last edited:
Solution
You have two CPU temps listed, so assuming you meant one of them to be the GPU, we have no idea which is which AND beside that fact, playing games is not an acceptable way to determine thermal compliance.

For the CPU, please read the "Thermal compliance testing" section at the following link. It is towards the bottom of the guide. The test procedures apply equally to stock or overclocked configurations.

For the graphics card, if you can run the Furmark torture test and remain below 85-90°C, PREFERABLY below 80°C, then you are fine.
You have two CPU temps listed, so assuming you meant one of them to be the GPU, we have no idea which is which AND beside that fact, playing games is not an acceptable way to determine thermal compliance.

For the CPU, please read the "Thermal compliance testing" section at the following link. It is towards the bottom of the guide. The test procedures apply equally to stock or overclocked configurations.

For the graphics card, if you can run the Furmark torture test and remain below 85-90°C, PREFERABLY below 80°C, then you are fine.

Solution

waa_buster

Commendable
Mar 23, 2020

Sorry i edited this as you posted, also playing demanding games seems to be extremely consistent for temps tbh but ill run read that post, run furmark and report back, thanks

Games, and MANY utilities, are NOT "steady state" and you need a steady state work load to determine if a component is thermally compliant or not. "Seems" and "Is" are two entirely different things in many cases.

Granted, if all you do, ever, is play a particular game, and you KNOW your component is staying below spec for that game, then great. But that's not most people and some games use HIGHLY different instruction types and code. A game that you are fully compliant in, staying well below thermal spec for both CPU and GPU cores might easily exceed spec on a different one, especially if it's one that uses AVX instructions.

That's a whole other picnic though.

If you are staying below 80°C running the Furmark torture test at the same resolution setting that your monitor is, then you should be fine. As an additional metric you can also run the Heaven, Valley or Superposition benchmarks as well.

waa_buster

Commendable
Mar 23, 2020
I understand what you mean, last night I ran furmark for 15mins on 1080p and it got to 73* on the gpu, only 50* on cpu, was very very slowly climbing, so I think she's probably OK

Thanks for your advice

And ya mw is quite demanding, temps are as high as any benchmark I've run with the comp, and thats basically its job, to play games lol but i completely understand what you're saying

Last edited: