Access denied on most folders!

AaronHoppe

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Checked a bunch of threads online and couldn't find any that solved my problem.
Recently got a new laptop and things were great I setup one user account (also the administrator account) and attempted to access and delete folders in my steam folder. I got access denied when attempting it? I tried to change the permissions but was unable to do so, nor could I change them from read only. I then retried this with other folders such as internet explorer and java folders in my program files and it was the same story. For some bizarre reason i have lost control of the majority of files on my computer despite being the only user, none of these can be deleted or edited. I attempt to uninstall programs and they leave large files impossible to delete!

Strangely I was able to access these files in safe mode, but this is impractical to do every time I want to delete or edit a certain file, its the same story with changing permissions as even if i could do this it would be very time intensive to do this to the 100+ folders in my program files.

I have no idea what has caused this and no idea how to fix it, all the suggestions from online have not provided a solution that works apart from safe mode. Considering buying a Mac as this is the most silly and inconvenient problem I've ever seen and makes using my laptop nearly impossible I am the admin account? How can i delete or gain permissions with ALL these folders? Shall I reinstall windows?
Thank you hopefully someone can help me!

Here is an image of my ProgramFiles (x86) permissions, with my account highlighted
http://tinypic.com/r/16lmyk8/9

I tried to change my account to full control but the option was greyed out:
http://tinypic.com/r/2cna64h/9

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Go tot the security tab for that folder
Click Adavance and change the owner to those files AND check Replace all child object permissions

This will make your user account the owner to that folder and all deeper folders.

AaronHoppe

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

I'm not sure on how Id change the owner of those files to be me? Why was it not owned by me in the first place, I'm the only account that's ever been used on this laptop? The options are greyed out, not to mention there seem to be like 10 different accounts (As seen in the photos I provided). Will using a system restore point likely fix whatever issue this?
Thanks