Question Access inside case of ASUS 501VW. Blocked by plastic disks over screws.

stephenboston

Reputable
Jun 4, 2018
I want to change the SSD on Asus NX501VW but this model has no access panels underneath. I have to remove the entire bottom.

The screws are tiny but I managed to remove all but the two at the back. These are covered by hard black plastic disks and I am unable to move them. In a fit of frustration I drilled through one and exposed a screw underneath but I cannot get under the disk to remove it.

What can I do?

You're referring to the rubber feet on each corner? You need to use a small prying tool to get underneath them and lift them off. There's an adhesive underneath; to keep that intact as much as possible (if you want to stick them back on), work the prying tool around and try to lift the adhesive up with the feet.

stephenboston

Reputable
Jun 4, 2018
You're referring to the rubber feet on each corner? You need to use a small prying tool to get underneath them and lift them off. There's an adhesive underneath; to keep that intact as much as possible (if you want to stick them back on), work the prying tool around and try to lift the adhesive up with the feet.
You are referring to the slightly dome-shaped stick ons at each corner? No. I've removed them easily. Underneath the two front feet I found tiny screws that came out quite easily. The two feet at the rear however!

These are very hard plastic held down tightly. They may even be not disks themselves but an underlay I would remove after removing the bottom of the unit by some other means. However it's held down very tightly.

A picture or two might help. :)

As far as I know, all four dome-shaped stoppers need to be taken out and then have their underlying screws removed. It's been awhile since I've seen this system, hard to speak from memory, but every guide online seems to corroborate this, only they don't advise on methods of removal of the stoppers.

stephenboston

Reputable
Jun 4, 2018
A picture or two might help. :)

As far as I know, all four dome-shaped stoppers need to be taken out and then have their underlying screws removed. It's been awhile since I've seen this system, hard to speak from memory, but every guide online seems to corroborate this, only they don't advise on methods of removal of the stoppers.

https://pasteboard.co/IaqIi5L.png

This image shows all four dome-shaped stoppers removed. Two of them have a metal background with a screw hole. The other two, with stoppers removed, show the heavy plastic underlay that covers the screws. As you can see, I have butchered my way into them with little success.

Yikes. It's hard to speak for without inspecting in person, and I don't want to potentially lead you the wrong way by spitballing. This might be something a local, competent PC tech should take a look at.

As best as I can see, the adhesive is holding things in place a little too well. A heat gun can loosen that, but again, it's a good idea to get a second (maybe a third) opinion from someone local that can get more hands on with it.