[SOLVED] "Access is Denied" error while installing gpu driver

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
Someone please help with my sanity, it's quickly slipping away.
I have a bit of an older budget system that's used more for homework and general productivity so the specs aren't great.
Mobo- ASUS m5a97 r2.0
CPU- amd fx 4300
Boot drive- Samsung 860 evo SSD
RAM- 8gb 1600
PSU-some 450W unit, don't remember from where
GPU- nvidia gt 610 (again, just need video out)
Long story short I decided to update my gpu drivers to latest version the other day. Seemed to install fine but after the update the Nvidia control panel disappeared and the gpu showed up as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" in device manager. Windows recognizes it as a nvidia gpu, so it's not like it's not detecting it, I have a video signal in native resolution. View: https://imgur.com/a/F2uA2JX
I wiped the drivers with DDU then tried to install new ones, nvidia installer always fails, View: https://imgur.com/a/FsD2VsL
I suspect it's also being denied access of some sorts. Device manager also is able to locate and download drivers but always throws a "Access is denied" error View: https://imgur.com/a/ZfBqoY4
, same thing if I manually point Device Manager to the drivers I have downloaded. I've tried running nvidia installer as admin, running device manager as admin, taking driver ownership with the TAKEOWN cmd, attempting to install with driver enforcement turned off, all variations of safe mode, making sure nothing is wrong with sfc /scannow, nothing takes. I'm at a loss as what to do.

Solution
D
sounds like you need to clean wipe the system and start over with a clean install of windows. if that doesn't fix it, it's probably your motherboard but you need to rule things out by testing each component.

try this. First, boot a Linux Live USB and see if you can use the computer, that tells you there is nothing wrong with your hardware if everything works. It means windows is fudged.
D

Deleted member 14196

Boot to safe mode and use the DDU utility to remove all your graphics drivers then reboot and install the all the drivers that were good

D

Deleted member 14196

sounds like you need to clean wipe the system and start over with a clean install of windows. if that doesn't fix it, it's probably your motherboard but you need to rule things out by testing each component.

try this. First, boot a Linux Live USB and see if you can use the computer, that tells you there is nothing wrong with your hardware if everything works. It means windows is fudged.

Solution

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019

So I went ahead and made a bootable Ubuntu USB and it works like a charm. I plan on doing a clean reinstall of windows tomorrow. I've had issues with the current installation before, random freezes, refusing to boot, etc. My current boot drive is a clone of a clone, for some reason, when upgrading the drive the OS was simply cloned. and not freshly installed.I have a random lenovo partition . My question is, My desktop and some program files are on a secondary drive, so that should be fine. Would I be able to move programs that are on my C drive to my F drive, install windows, then move them back. Im asking since I have a few programs I would not be able to reinstall.

So I went ahead and made a bootable Ubuntu USB and it works like a charm. I plan on doing a clean reinstall of windows tomorrow. I've had issues with the current installation before, random freezes, refusing to boot, etc. My current boot drive is a clone of a clone, for some reason, when upgrading the drive the OS was simply cloned. and not freshly installed.I have a random lenovo partition . My question is, My desktop and some program files are on a secondary drive, so that should be fine. Would I be able to move programs that are on my C drive to my F drive, install windows, then move them back. Im asking since I have a few programs I would not be able to reinstall.
Whenever I have reinstalled the OS, I put everything I want to keep onto a different drive and then make sure it's not connected for the clean install. Once the new OS is all up and running, I then re-connect the drive, let it get detected, make sure the drive lettering is the way I want it etc. Then copy back across the files I want on the boot drive.

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
Whenever I have reinstalled the OS, I put everything I want to keep onto a different drive and then make sure it's not connected for the clean install. Once the new OS is all up and running, I then re-connect the drive, let it get detected, make sure the drive lettering is the way I want it etc. Then copy back across the files I want on the boot drive.
I was thinking about doing that. In that case should I do a completely fresh install or the one that is supposed to keep files? Also does a fresh installation overwrite drive partitions? like I said above, I have some funky partitions. Would I need to format the drive and install windows off a boot USB?