Access is Denied while trying to disable antivirus at startup.

americanspirit

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Ok ,
Here's how I got here. I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 as a dual boot option on my machine (Toshiba Satellite) that is running Windows 7. However, the installation process isn't going as it should. I have no option for dual boot installation. Only "erase disk and install Ubuntu" or "Something else". So while running Ubuntu live off of USB stick, I checked NTFS partitions in Gparted program. It shows that my main windows partition is corrupt or damaged. However, on windows it shows as healthy though. At any rate, It's not letting me go further. So I am trying to run command chkdsk /f C: as well as chkdsk /r C: (and all other variants((with c or without)) and I get " Cannot Lock Current drive" . After researching this, I find that the culprit could be my antivirus. So I go into services.msc and try to disable both AVGIDS agent, and AVG watchdog. When I click apply, I get "access is denied". SO, upon further research, I find that perhaps disabling UAC would allow me to then Disable AVG at startup in services.msc. But that did not work either. I've tried chkdsk /f in both safe mode and normal, and I can not get away from the "Cannot Lock Current Drive" Ultimately, I would like to scan and possibly repair my C partition ,so then Ubuntu will move forward with installation as dual boot. I do not have any Windows 7 install/repair/recovery cd.
Thank you

Solution
Type in "msconfig" without the " " in the search bar in the start menu. Go to Services tab and disable all AVG related processes. Do the same in the Startup tab. Restart computer to apply changes. Continue with your business.

P.S AVG is one of the worst antivirus software out there. On many occasions that thing has locked up my drives, prevented me access to my own data or removing things that it shouldn't. I strongly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as the best free antivirus.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Type in "msconfig" without the " " in the search bar in the start menu. Go to Services tab and disable all AVG related processes. Do the same in the Startup tab. Restart computer to apply changes. Continue with your business.

P.S AVG is one of the worst antivirus software out there. On many occasions that thing has locked up my drives, prevented me access to my own data or removing things that it shouldn't. I strongly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as the best free antivirus.

Solution

americanspirit

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Stupid Question here, but do I have to manually UNcheck everything, then check the 2 AVG components? Or, Do I uncheck 2 AVG components and then select disable? Thanks Shneiky!

americanspirit

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
((SERVICES TAB IN MSCONFIG IS NOT KEEPING ANTIVIRUS DISABLED AFTER RESTART))
Ok, I googled around to find the answer on checking vs. unchecking on msconfig, and saw that it was to uncheck the programs that you don't want to run on start-up> press OK>restart computer. Here's my problem though: I was able to Disable AVG related files in the Startup tab. However, I uncheck 2 avg related files in the Services tab>click ok, and restart computer, and I go back into msconfig to double check, and they are back to checked. I tried to run chkdsk /f C: in command anyways, but still I got the "Cannot Lock Current Drive" I select Y and enter, and nothing happens on restart.
Besides this issue, can anyone suggest whether or not I'm on the right track, as far as fixing supposed corrupt/damage notification in Gparted for main C:?

Shneiky

Distinguished
That is weird. Last time I had to disable AVG, I did it that way (although it was 2 years ago). Are you sure you have disabled all AVG components completely? If you have and it does not work, then I suggest to uninstall AVG and install it later or install another anti-virus software.

americanspirit

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
I'll go in again, and see if there is something hidden, that doesn't plainly say "avg". But in the chance that this doesn't work, do you have a suggestion on what I can use to FULLY uninstall avg (registries etc.)?
Do you agree that avg at startup could be why chkdsk /f C: isn't scanning on reboot? Thanks

Shneiky

Distinguished
There is a possibility that AVG has put some kind of lock on your partition to protect it from malicious software. Once I had to fully delete, reformat and repartition a hard drive to get rid of AVG's bull****. And for your other question, there are some free total uninstall softwares out there. Just google it. I don't use this kind of software, never really needed to.