Question Access Point Help

Jun 11, 2019
I currently have a modem/router setup at the front of my home for smart TV, Xbox, etc in the living room. My pc sits in the rear of the home and I currently run ~100' ethernet cable to it. I do not have a wifi adapter on my pc.

In setting up a wireless access point in the rear of the home, would I be able to plug the ethernet cable into the access point for a wired connection or does it not work that way?

Jun 11, 2019
Some access points have two ethernet ports and you can connect your pc to the second port. If you want wired connectivity and the AP, then bring the long cable to a 5 port ethernet switch (about $20) and then a short cable to the AP and another to your PC.

Just to be clear, running a cable from a wireless access point alone would negate the wifi aspects of it? But, running a switch using the long cable would allow for the access point wifi capabilities and the wired connection?

Modem/Router --(wireless)--> Access Point --(wired)--> PC = NO wifi extension

Modem/Router --(wired)--> Switch --(wired + wired)--> Access Point + PC = Wifi extension & ethernet

Do I have this right or am I just lost?

It depend on the AP. Some only have a single port other have more because they contain a small switch. If you use a router as AP you would use 1 lan port to connect to the main router and have 3 extra lan ports.

Not sure why AP only have 1 port in most cases. I know a lot are powered via the ethernet but they could still have extra ports. It may be that they are commonly ceiling mounted where you would not run extra cables anyway.

In any case it is just a matter of buying the correct AP or if you already have it just adding a small switch as indicated in the above post.

Reactions: WelcomeRandy