Question Access Point randomly drops internet connection after connecting it to my switch ?

MitchellChang

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Hey All,
I have a issue regarding my TP-Link EAP620HD upstairs access point. I have an oldish Netgear GS728TP switch but it was a freebie from work, and it works perfectly fine with all the devices around my home, none of my devices drop the internet at all, except when I have my upstairs access point connected to the switch every couple of minutes or so any device connected to the access point for example my iPhone drops connection to the internet but the phone still shows its connected to the access point.

I believe it could be something to do with the settings for the switch, as plugging the access point into the router directly, the internet connection on the access point doesn’t drop at all, It's been puzzling me for the past few days and I'm just wondering if I've missed out something whilst setting it up. I’ve set the IP to static for the access point, and put the switch into switch mode not routing.

MitchellChang

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Does the AP have any kind of log. The switch should have a log does it show the port go down. From a quick look at the specs are you using a PoE+ port on your switch I am unsure if the AP needs PoE+ or just that it supports it.
I’ll have a look tonight thank you, and I’m pretty sure it’s on the PoE+ but I’ll double check

kanewolf

Titan
The access point, comes with a power adapter so when I had it plugged into the router directly it was powered by the access point
Right. So you can eliminate the switch powering the AP, by connecting the AP, in the final location by powering the AP with the factory POE adapter, but connect the adapter to your switch rather than router. If you still have issues, then it could be a cable problem.