[SOLVED] Access point regularly loses internet connectivity

Aug 8, 2021
I have a Netgear R6900 setup as an access point with a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 and the main router assigns addresses between 192.168.0.5 and 193.168.0.155. The access point works great for a while but it seems to lose internet access on a regular basis. When this happens, the IP table on the router no longer shows the AP. The behavior is almost as if the AP lease is expiring.

Please help

Solution
The wiring is in the wall, so I cannot check that easily. I'll need to move the AP to the same room as the router, but this won't help confirm that the in-wall wiring is good.

Instead of re-starting the AP, all I need to do to re-establish internet access is to un/re-plug the ethernet cable in the internet port. The logs don't anything relevant. The only entry I see is "[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.2, Sunday, Aug 08,2021 17:42:07" at the time I un/re-plug the ethernet cable.

There is one detail I haven't mentioned. I bought the AP in the USA, but I'm using it in Brasil. I just noticed the default NTP server settings could not find a server. I just fixed this by setting a fixed address.
Since you have...

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Netgear R6900 setup as an access point with a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 and the main router assigns addresses between 192.168.0.5 and 193.168.0.155. The access point works great for a while but it seems to lose internet access on a regular basis. When this happens, the IP table on the router no longer shows the AP. The behavior is almost as if the AP lease is expiring.

Please help
I would start with a new cable between the router and the AP. That may be difficult with in-wall wiring, but you need to eliminate that as the problem.
What do the logs on the AP show ?

Aug 8, 2021
The wiring is in the wall, so I cannot check that easily. I'll need to move the AP to the same room as the router, but this won't help confirm that the in-wall wiring is good.

Instead of re-starting the AP, all I need to do to re-establish internet access is to un/re-plug the ethernet cable in the internet port. The logs don't anything relevant. The only entry I see is "[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.2, Sunday, Aug 08,2021 17:42:07" at the time I un/re-plug the ethernet cable.

There is one detail I haven't mentioned. I bought the AP in the USA, but I'm using it in Brasil. I just noticed the default NTP server settings could not find a server. I just fixed this by setting a fixed address.

kanewolf

Titan

Since you have in-wall wiring, I recommend you get a simple cable tester like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM bad cabling can cause the device to not be able to correctly negotiate the link speed. If it is trying to run gigabit but the other end drops to 100Mbit, then it won't work. You might be able to tell something from the LEDs on the devices on either end of the wire.

Solution