[SOLVED] Access point vs router for LAN

Pter Leonard

Reputable
May 16, 2014
Hi guys

In my old house, I have modem bridged and a router, it works perfectly, but I'm moving house and this house has a fibre connection and the modem is locked and can't put it on bridge mode, only access point. My router is Asus AC2900. My question is, if i stick to wired connections will it perform well enough? will the performance of wireless and wired be noticeably different? are there any settings on the modem that can help?

Thanks aloot

Solution
Ap is actually bridge mode when the WAN port is ethernet.

In general it will not hurt to run 2 routers in the path. You could disable the wifi on the ISP device and use the wifi on your router.

The only things that tends to be a problem are game consoles that want UPnP to work or if you have some need to port map. The ISP router may have a dmz option that will reduce that problem.
Ap is actually bridge mode when the WAN port is ethernet.

In general it will not hurt to run 2 routers in the path. You could disable the wifi on the ISP device and use the wifi on your router.

The only things that tends to be a problem are game consoles that want UPnP to work or if you have some need to port map. The ISP router may have a dmz option that will reduce that problem.

Solution