[SOLVED] Access Points - Power reading/wifi signal, what should I trust?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hello all,

First - based on a previous thread that I have created, and thanks to @kanewolf , I have "upgraded" from a single combo router/wifi to an access point(s) system. (I am only using the one right now because I wanted to try it and read all the power signals throughout my house to determine what type of 2nd access point I want to get).

To the main question - I have purchased TP-Link, EAP245 based on cost and reviews. I figured I could get two for the price of one unify ac ap. The reviews are real good too (I know I mentioned it) so I had no hesitation.

Currently me ISP router is in the basement (with wifi capability off), connected to my EAP245 on the main floor, centrally (literally in the middle of my house, beside the stairs so it provides me a good signal on my 2nd floor).

Using the Omada App on my android, I can see the power reading of each device, and i can see the signal strength (1 bar to 5). My question is, can I trust that app for signal strength/power reading? I have used a wifi analyzer on my phone and it reads otherwise. For example, my laptop on the 2nd floor, farthest point of the house reads 1 bar, or about -70 dBm ish while my wifi analyzer reads at a decent -40 to -50 dBm. In addition, I have looked at each device's signal strength within its OS, so on my laptop looking at the signal icon, its full. Performing a speed test, gets me my maximum ISP mbps (110 mbps), while previously with my router I was getting 70 mbps.

So what would be the best way to determine power readings throughout the house so I can strategically place a second AP?

Secondary questions: @kanewolf recommended to turn off the wifi capability on my router (which I did) and use same manufacturers for access points throughout the house to avoid any troubles. What would be the huge issue if I leave it on so I can get better signal in the basement instead of getting another access point? The only thing I see is that I cannot change the transmission power on my router, so devices might "stick" to my router from farther away. Is this the reason?

Thank you in advance,

Solution
Can your AP show the received signal from you phone? If so use that as your guide. The transmit power of your phone is lower than the AP. You would prefer at least a -70dB signal at yhe AP.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Can your AP show the received signal from you phone? If so use that as your guide. The transmit power of your phone is lower than the AP. You would prefer at least a -70dB signal at yhe AP.

Are you talking about the Omada app from my phone? Currently I am using my laptop to respond to you. My phone is beside me. I am using the Omada App, logged into my EAP, looking at the connected devices, I see RSSI:-73dBm for my laptop. Laptop shows -77dBm. Cellphone is at "2" bar equivalent, laptop is at "1" bar equivalent. Yet, looking at both devices themselves the signal bar is full. Speed is maxed (110 Mbps).

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Are you talking about the Omada app from my phone? Currently I am using my laptop to respond to you. My phone is beside me. I am using the Omada App, logged into my EAP, looking at the connected devices, I see RSSI:-73dBm for my laptop. Laptop shows -77dBm. Cellphone is at "2" bar equivalent, laptop is at "1" bar equivalent. Yet, looking at both devices themselves the signal bar is full. Speed is maxed (110 Mbps).
I am talking about logging into the AP and getting signal strength off the AP.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I am talking about logging into the AP and getting signal strength off the AP.

Yeah the Omada app let's me connect to the AP through my phone. Whether I use the app or the web browser, if I go to connected devices I can see their RSSI (dBm) and their rate (Mbps). Is this what I should go by? And you say no less than -70 dBm?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Last few question:

When I get my 2nd AP, would you recommend setting it to a different channel than my 1st AP?

And, does creating numerous SSIDs on the same AP to seperate devices increase performance? Or it doesn't matter because traffic is still going through the same AP and channel?

Thanks again

You generally want to set ap to different channels BUT that assumes you are using 20mhz channels. Modern routers use 40mhz channels on 2.4g and 80mhz channels on 5g to increase the amount of data that can be transferred. There is only room for 1 40mhz channel on 2.4g and 2 on the 5g in most countries. So if you set them to 20mhz you trade overlapping signals for less speed. This of course ignores the fact that your neighbors likely are using every channel already.

Multiple SSID on the same device still use the same radio channels.....some high end AP with mulitple Radio chips they can be different. Most the time it provides little benefit to have multiple SSID on the same device. Years ago I used to have my router advertise a large number of SSID purely to get routers that scan and auto detect to choose other radio channels. They mistakenly assumed all those SSID means more users when I was really only using 1 of them. Kept them off my radio channel....doesn't work so well now that nobody uses 20mhz channels.

Reactions: Jmusic88

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
You generally want to set ap to different channels BUT that assumes you are using 20mhz channels. Modern routers use 40mhz channels on 2.4g and 80mhz channels on 5g to increase the amount of data that can be transferred. There is only room for 1 40mhz channel on 2.4g and 2 on the 5g in most countries. So if you set them to 20mhz you trade overlapping signals for less speed. This of course ignores the fact that your neighbors likely are using every channel already.

Multiple SSID on the same device still use the same radio channels.....some high end AP with mulitple Radio chips they can be different. Most the time it provides little benefit to have multiple SSID on the same device. Years ago I used to have my router advertise a large number of SSID purely to get routers that scan and auto detect to choose other radio channels. They mistakenly assumed all those SSID means more users when I was really only using 1 of them. Kept them off my radio channel....doesn't work so well now that nobody uses 20mhz channels.

Awesome thanks. Looking at the wifi analyzer, all of the 2.4ghz networks beside me use 20mhz channels. (except one).

The 5g networks here all use 40Mhz, but because it's weaker I don't see much traffic beside me. I'll make sure to use different channels for a second AP for sure.