Question Access Points setup.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Hi. I don't know much about networks, specially wireless.
I'm planning to setup an access point for a small business.
The area of the office is 24 m x 23 m.
I'm planning to use 3 access points placed on three different location.
1 in mezzanine and 2 on the ground floor.

the main purpose is just for the users in these 3 different location to connect to the internet wirelessly.
another thing, the internet services is a 20 mbps dedicated line. and the internet service provider is only giving 1 single port modem.
So that means, i will be needing a router too.
total users will be around 30 to 40.
internet usage will be mostly emails

Can you suggest specific brand of router, access point and how will be the setup?
Or is there a single AP that can accommodate the whole 24m x 23m area?

thank you very much.

You're obviously talking about office / business setup, and probably looking for cheap(est) solution. In that case - at least aim for single-vendor devices.
First, check ISP device, where it's a modem only, or combo modem / router device (even with single LAN port). If you get a WiFi router, you can skip one of APs;
Second - you'll need to route Ethernet cables to locations of the APs;
Third - set each IP with its unique SSID.

There are people on this forum which can recommend business-level setup.

kanewolf

Titan
A UniFI setup from Ubiquiti will provide a simple to setup and manage system that can provide more business type features like guest logins on access points.
A basic setup would be a USG security gateway, an 8 port POE switch to power the APs and AC-LITE access points. Optionally you could add a cloud key, but it is not required.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
You're obviously talking about office / business setup, and probably looking for cheap(est) solution. In that case - at least aim for single-vendor devices.
First, check ISP device, where it's a modem only, or combo modem / router device (even with single LAN port). If you get a WiFi router, you can skip one of APs;
Second - you'll need to route Ethernet cables to locations of the APs;
Third - set each IP with its unique SSID.

There are people on this forum which can recommend business-level setup.

it's a modem only, not a combined modem/router. and also i have read that it is possible for APs to handover user? like in cellular?
like for instance, i connected to the AP in location A, then i go to location B, my device will automatically connect to the AP of location without me manually connecting to it.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
A UniFI setup from Ubiquiti will provide a simple to setup and manage system that can provide more business type features like guest logins on access points.
A basic setup would be a USG security gateway, an 8 port POE switch to power the APs and AC-LITE access points. Optionally you could add a cloud key, but it is not required.

Actually, Ubiquiti is what i was initially planning. But i'm not that sure, so i was looking for a suggestion/recommendation. Do you one single AP AC LR (long range) can accommodate the whole office?

kanewolf

Titan
I wouldn't use the LR. It is an older model and although the "long range" sounds appealing, trying to blast a signal from a single point is not usually optimum. The user devices have less and less transmit power. You have to be able to receive as well as transmit. You can post a floor plan drawing over at the Ubiquiti forum and get some recommendations for placement.

It isn't clear from your description, is this a single floor or multiple floors?

Reactions: brahmsPC