Access to web server behind a bridge and a router

Jan 17, 2018
Dear Community,

I have a web server running on Mac OS X. The Mac is connected to a TP-LINK (Model AC 1200 Dual Band) which forms the local network. This router is further connected to ZyXEL (model VMG1312-BMD) which acts a bridge to the VDSL.

So, the setup is: ISP>ZyXEL (bridge setup)> TP-LINK (DHCP router with DDNS and Port Forwarding) >Web Server.

I have set up DDNS and port forwarding in the TP-LinK router, but cant access the server from outside the network. Is there an extra setting I should see on the ZyXEL router? I thought the router acting as a bridge wouldn't inhibit incoming traffic. Any help greatly appreciated!

Solution
Per the user manual, page 82 (manual), when in bridge mode you can not use the firewall ... so, no, the Zyxel router should not be stopping any traffic.

Things to try:
Log into the TP Link and open the firewall log. Try access the server from outside and then refresh the the log. See anything of use?
Does the Mac also have a firewall? What if you disable it? Is there a firewall log you can look at (Sorry, I don't do mac myself)?
If you think something is up with the ZyXEL, you try a factory reset. Just remember to save or write down any important settings.
Jan 17, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from diagnostiko.larissa : "Access to web server behind a bridge and a router"

Dear Community,

I have a web server running on Mac OS X. The Mac is connected to a TP-LINK (Model AC 1200 Dual Band) which forms the local network. This router is further connected to ZyXEL (model VMG1312-BMD) which acts a bridge to the VDSL.

So, the setup is: ISP>ZyXEL (bridge setup)> TP-LINK (DHCP router with DDNS and Port Forwarding) >Web Server.

I have set up DDNS and port forwarding in the TP-LinK router, but cant access the server from outside the network. Is there an extra setting I should see on the ZyXEL router? I thought the router acting as a bridge wouldn't inhibit incoming traffic. Any help greatly appreciated!

Per the user manual, page 82 (manual), when in bridge mode you can not use the firewall ... so, no, the Zyxel router should not be stopping any traffic.

Things to try:
Log into the TP Link and open the firewall log. Try access the server from outside and then refresh the the log. See anything of use?
Does the Mac also have a firewall? What if you disable it? Is there a firewall log you can look at (Sorry, I don't do mac myself)?
If you think something is up with the ZyXEL, you try a factory reset. Just remember to save or write down any important settings.

Solution
Jan 17, 2018
Thanks for the reply! I will see into the TPLINK's log. As far as I know, I don't have a firewall in my Mac. I did restart the ZyXEL couple of times, but didn't do a factory reset. Will update with findings.