accessing a bad sector cause hard drive freeze and shutdown

MrHardwarex

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
i have a failing dying hard disk seagate st31000528as firmware cc38 with 1TB with smart error "reallocated sectors count=4096 =failed"
i already took a backup and i want to use this hard disk for saving not important files

my problem is that when i try or system try to access a bad sector with specific LBA address that "i know" the hard disks hangs/freeze and shutdown and don't work until i power off the pc

so all the hdd recovery tool like"likes hdd re-generator and mhdd and hdtune and PartitionGuru" stops working /scanning when reaching this bad LBA address and give error like drive not ready or unc error

so i have made partition before and after this LBA address to avoid this area of bad blocks sectors but sadly there are other areas in the hard disk have same problem and cause the hard disk to freeze/stops working

also i don't think low lever format will works as it will not continue and stops formatting when reaches this bad LBA sector and may cause hard disk gone forever due to uncomplete low level fornatting

so i wonder is there a software who can manage the hard disk so when it scans its surface the hard disk not freeze/shutdown and also i didn't found a software that allow me to manually mark certain LBA address as bad.

-my target is to mark all bad blocks/sectors in the hard disk so the hard disk don't freeze/shutdown so how shall i do that?

Thanks

Solution
I had many a fight with failed drives but only to salvage important files. Spent few days pulling files out if they were important enough but after it's finished it was recycle time for them. Once mechanical parts start failing it doesn't pay to play with them any more.
You can try low level format any number of times but it's not going to jump over bad places, specially if new ones pop up and they most likely will.

MrHardwarex

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
could you provide a web link to this hardware tool "Trash bin" and isn't there any other software solutions that works under windows /dos/linux? as it difficult to me to get hardware tool

MrHardwarex

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
i totally agree with you as i already lost my nerve with it 2 days ago :)
but i wonder if i make low format by seagate software tool will the hard disk hangs and than it wont ever work again as low level format operation interrupted or i can after failed low level format reparation it again ?

I had many a fight with failed drives but only to salvage important files. Spent few days pulling files out if they were important enough but after it's finished it was recycle time for them. Once mechanical parts start failing it doesn't pay to play with them any more.
You can try low level format any number of times but it's not going to jump over bad places, specially if new ones pop up and they most likely will.

Solution

MrHardwarex

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
last i need an advise for buying video card
i have ATI HD4670 that have TDP around 60 to 70 walt and i run it on 350 walt power supply
and i don't want to get new power supply and i have q6600 cpu and 8 gb ram ddr2
so which is better
get gtx 750 ti card version without external 6pin power that have tdp around 70 walt
or get gt 730 gddr5 64bit version which have much lower TDP than my old HD4670 card
the gtx750 ti cost the double of price of gt 730
and i want to get the 750 ti card but I afraid that power supply won't handle it or my old q6600 cpu will effect/decrease the 750 ti performance so that i got 730 gt performance
and is 730gt 64bit card is good for games?
so what do you think?

GPUs with no external power connectors use up to 75W from PCIe slot.
That processor wouldn't be too much of bottleneck even for GT750 but that 730 would be perfect fit. From AMD (which could be cheaper), an R7 260 would be on the par with 750 or maybe even a bit better. I'm pretty satisfied with mine.

MrHardwarex

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks again for perfect answer
sadly i can't get AMD cards as it require higher TDP and external 6pin connector which require newer power supply
i will try to get 750ti and if i couldn't offer it than i will get gt 730 but i hope gt 730 game performance for 2015 games on medium setting on my old q6600 will be good enough :)