Accessing a MySQL Database across a network

AdamMcquiff

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Hello!

My problem is quite niche, basically I am developing a bespoke C# application and it connects to a MySQL database that will be served on a server. The application itself will be accessed via a shortcut on multiple desktops attached to the network, if they use this application will they be able to communicate with the database hosted on the server?

Is this even the appropriate place to ask this question?

Let me know.

Thank you.

Kris Degruytere

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
What desktops OS( mac/ win)? Will you use web base app? Standard windows machines do not have a mysql odbc driver so you ll need to explore how you can incorporate this when building a desktop client only solution.

AdamMcquiff

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014

They're all Windows machines, it's using an .exe based application. I can easily have it setup with an application on the machine that the application and database run on, it's just the question of accessibility on any of the other machines

If your application will be executed over the network:
- create a shared folder on the server, where you put the executable and a configuration file
- map a drive letter on each user' desktop to that shared folder
- in your application, access the configuration file for DB connection string.

That way, if you ever decide to change the location of your database server, you will have to change one file only.

AdamMcquiff

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014

That's kinda what I had in mind, yeah! So if they use the application, which is actually located on the server alongside the database, they'll be okay to use the database and modify it from their machine using said application?

AdamMcquiff

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014

In what respect? Ensuring the code to connect to SQL, the database and the database drivers are all setup correctly? Or perhaps you mean designing the application in a fashion where multiple users can (safely) access the same database?