[SOLVED] Accessing a shared PC folder on my smart TV

rvs053063

Prominent
Aug 5, 2018
I have a TCL Roku smart TV with a USB port. Currently, if I plug a thumb drive into the port I can navigate to a media file and play it on the TV. What I would like to be able to do instead is to navigate to a folder on my PC across my network using wi-fi. I can't use the TV's ethernet port. Only the USB port. Is there some sort of dongle that I can buy that would allow me to do this? I'm not looking to cast to the TV. Just to play files that reside on my main PC.

Solution
I have a TCL Roku smart TV with a USB port. Currently, if I plug a thumb drive into the port I can navigate to a media file and play it on the TV. What I would like to be able to do instead is to navigate to a folder on my PC across my network using wi-fi. I can't use the TV's ethernet port. Only the USB port. Is there some sort of dongle that I can buy that would allow me to do this? I'm not looking to cast to the TV. Just to play files that reside on my main PC.
Does your TV have WIFI or not? It isn't clear from your original post. You can't add a USB WIFI adapter, because the TV doesn't have drivers to support it unless it is explicitly listed in the user's manual. You can get a wireless bridge. That is a separate...
D

Deleted member 14196

Why not get a USB Wi-Fi adapter for your television and then all you have to do is share your media folders and you should be able to find them with the television

In fact your TV should have Wi-Fi support so all you should have to do is share your media folders in windows

kanewolf

Titan
Does your TV have WIFI or not? It isn't clear from your original post. You can't add a USB WIFI adapter, because the TV doesn't have drivers to support it unless it is explicitly listed in the user's manual. You can get a wireless bridge. That is a separate device that will convert WIFI to ethernet.
The best way to share media to a TV is to use a DLNA -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance software on your PC -- https://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-a-dlna-media-server/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS