Accessing a Wester Digital My Book external hard drive...

kbrining

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
A friend of mine gave me a Western Digital My Book external hard drive that he was using in conjunction with his Nintendo Wii. I've been able to use it with my own Nintendo Wii, but I'd like to see if I can access the files in my PC so that I can back them up (in case the external drive ever fails). Problem, is, I'm not sure how this drive was set up.

I've tried just hooking it up to my Windows 10 PC, but it does not seem to read as a valid drive. I'm trying to be very cautious in what steps I take because I don't want to damage or ruin any partitions that might be on the drive thus losing information on board. I haven't worked with such a thing for quite some time and I've made mistakes like that in the past.

Does anyone know of any software or methods that might be able to discover the partitions that exist on the drive and safely access them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kbrining

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

I cannot. The drive doesn't even appear as an available drive when plugged in. Windows will initially identify that a USB device has been plugged in and the external HD will spool up, but it soon disconnects the USB device again without even acknowledging that an actual hard drive is there. I assume because it can't read the drive. But I know the drive still works and that data exists on it because it can be accessed through the Wii.

I ran DMDE with the drive plugged in and it also did not see it as an available drive.