Accessing admin account files from another HDD

Greetings, I'm having a problem with a customer's Windows XP computer. His
hard drive does not allow booting into Windows XP Home in normal/safe mode at
all; it continually reboots. Using a system recovery reinstall doesn't work
either. I've got a second drive hooked up and installed XP Home just fine,
and copied his files from his accounts to it, but I can't access his admin
account files, which he needs saved before I can reformat. Double clicking
on his account in Documents and Settings just doesn't do anything at all.

Is it possible to access these and back them up? I'm logged in as the
administrator on the new hard drive but it still won't let me. I presume
he's got them password protected or something, I'm not sure.

Thanks -
- Will
Express PC Solutions
Suffolk, VA
757-539-8491

Will @ XPC wrote:
> Greetings, I'm having a problem with a customer's Windows XP
> computer. His hard drive does not allow booting into Windows XP Home
> in normal/safe mode at all; it continually reboots. Using a system
> recovery reinstall doesn't work either. I've got a second drive
> hooked up and installed XP Home just fine, and copied his files from
> his accounts to it, but I can't access his admin account files, which
> he needs saved before I can reformat. Double clicking on his account
> in Documents and Settings just doesn't do anything at all.
>
> Is it possible to access these and back them up? I'm logged in as the
> administrator on the new hard drive but it still won't let me. I
> presume he's got them password protected or something, I'm not sure.
>
> Thanks -
> - Will
> Express PC Solutions
> Suffolk, VA
> 757-539-8491

Taken ownership?

As long as EFS is not involved:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

--
<- Shenan ->