[SOLVED] accessing all partitions from a hard drive that is converted into an external hard drive

Mar 26, 2019
hello
i'm new here and I'm in need of help. Recently my laptop died. when it was alive, had 2 drives, c: and d:. I opened it up and i was able to salvage the harddrive (which works), but there was only 1 drive. I'm guessing the drive was partitioned into c: and d:.. I had a lot of important documents on my desktop (which i'm assuming it's in the c: drive) but I can't seem to get into it. Does anyone know how to access the files in the c: drive?

Thank you in advance!

You shouldn't have to do anything, both C and D should be visible, u just won't be able to boot C in a new box but it does't sound like what you are talking about. The laptop died, it may had taken C with it. If stuff important to you, may want to seek the help of a professional. Seagate has a data recovery service am not sure.

Mar 26, 2019
You shouldn't have to do anything, both C and D should be visible, u just won't be able to boot C in a new box but it does't sound like what you are talking about. The laptop died, it may had taken C with it. If stuff important to you, may want to seek the help of a professional. Seagate has a data recovery service am not sure.
thank you jsmithepa for the response. I took a look at the partitions and it looks like drive d isn't partitioned to include c. I'm kinda confused as to where drive c would be if there is only 1 hard drive. the laptop in question is asus epublic of gaming gl752v. by any chance would you know where the c drive is? or is it build into the motherboard?

Mar 26, 2019
Sorry i'm kinda new to all of this, most of the things I find on google. But an SSD is a solid state hard drive right? Isn't that a physical hard drive or would that be a chip? I removed one hard drive but I couldn't find another. I looked at the Asus ROG site and it only showed one hard drive in the advertisements. So i'm not sure where the c: drive is. I apologize for my ignorance I was never good with stuff like this :(

Mar 26, 2019
You will need one of these to get the info from the "C:" drive, though.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! ok I was able to take that one out. huh I didn't know that was a hard drive. Thank you Allan this helps me a lot!!! I never knew that the chip was an ssd, I always thought it was the bigger drive hehe. Thanks for the amazon link too! Have a great day!

Last edited:
Anything you want know GOOGLE "what I want to know"
Anything you want to know what it looks like GOOGLE "the thing" IMAGE.
For electronics, GOOGLE "make model" PDF, to find the manual is Godspel.

The knowledge of the universe is at your fingertips.