[SOLVED] Accessing an IP outside DHCP range

jonathani05

Commendable
May 3, 2018
I recently bought a used network switch, but i'm struggling to access the web interface as the IP address is clearly out of my DHCP range (Starts with 169.254). I'm kinda new at this so any Ideas how to access the web interface?

Solution
Temporarily set a static IP address on your computer in the same range as the switch (e.g. one more than the switch) and plug into it. You can use a 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0 subnet mask, and no default gateway. Then you should be able to browse into the switch and configure it to an address on your network (but outside your dhcp range).

If you are running windows, you can probably just plug into the switch (nothing else plugged into the switch - no dhcp server) and reboot. With no dhcp server on the network, windows should assign itself a 169.254 address automatically.
Temporarily set a static IP address on your computer in the same range as the switch (e.g. one more than the switch) and plug into it. You can use a 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0 subnet mask, and no default gateway. Then you should be able to browse into the switch and configure it to an address on your network (but outside your dhcp range).

If you are running windows, you can probably just plug into the switch (nothing else plugged into the switch - no dhcp server) and reboot. With no dhcp server on the network, windows should assign itself a 169.254 address automatically.

Solution
Oct 23, 2019
169.254 it is a apipa network ip.. It's automatically generated by windows.. It's communicated only in LAN... Must u need router & ISP connection to access the web services..

kanewolf

Titan
I recently bought a used network switch, but i'm struggling to access the web interface as the IP address is clearly out of my DHCP range (Starts with 169.254). I'm kinda new at this so any Ideas how to access the web interface?
You need to research how to factory reset that switch. Depending on how fancy the switch is, you may have to use a serial port to factory reset it.

TRENDING THREADS