[SOLVED] Accessing Camera's Through WAN IP

osamamansoor

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi Experts,

Previously I had connected my home camera's from Milestone XProtect Smart Client 2014 through my Router (Internet Public IP) and the connection was successfully made.

Now I have changed my ISP but unable to connect therefore I google and found that i have to allow some ports forwarding over my router, therefore, I allowed below ports like TCP 80, 12345, 7563 after which Milestone XProtect Smart Client 2014 successfully connected but images are not showing and all camera's are stuck on "Connecting......" status.

Question 01 :

Should I allow only these ports or any else
80, 1237, 8081, 9001, 7563, 12345, 22337

By Default (Without Port Forwarding) When I access my WANIP:80 it routes me towards home router and I think port 80 is using by my router.

On Milestone Management Client the access port is 80 define to access the system and i believe that these two are conflicting when using port forwarding towards the camera server.

Question 02

Is there any alternative port can I use to access cameras through remote IP.

https://developer.milestonesys.com/...ordings-in-XProtect-clients-over-the-Internet

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
All depends on if the app has port 80 hard coded. You could use say port 81 and key in :81 after the ip in the URL.

You might see if your router has the configure via the wan option enabled. You don't really want to configure your router via the wan but if you do it will use port 80. You might also be able to set it to HTTPS/443 to admin the router.

Port 80 is pretty risky to have open. It is constantly attacked and camera software is known to have lots of bugs. The safest option would be to have a VPN server run on your router and then use something like a openvpn on your pc. All the traffic would go over the vpn and your pc would appear as if it was on the lan so you no longer have the port forwarding issue.

It...
All depends on if the app has port 80 hard coded. You could use say port 81 and key in :81 after the ip in the URL.

You might see if your router has the configure via the wan option enabled. You don't really want to configure your router via the wan but if you do it will use port 80. You might also be able to set it to HTTPS/443 to admin the router.

Port 80 is pretty risky to have open. It is constantly attacked and camera software is known to have lots of bugs. The safest option would be to have a VPN server run on your router and then use something like a openvpn on your pc. All the traffic would go over the vpn and your pc would appear as if it was on the lan so you no longer have the port forwarding issue.

It used to be kinda rare for a router to support vpn but it is getting fairly common to have the server function. The vpn client when the router connects to a vpn service is not as common but you need the server function.

Solution
Is there any alternative port can I use to access cameras through remote IP.

https://developer.milestonesys.com/...ordings-in-XProtect-clients-over-the-Internet

Any other suggestions?
I think you are running across the issue noted at the bottom of the page:

Note: You may encounter a router which translates the source address of an inbound connection in addition to the destination address. When this happens, the connection appears to originate from within the same network since the source address of the connection is the LAN IP address of your router. This is unsupported by XProtect software since the software must determine whether you are a "local" or "outside" user, and so it will be unable to view video over the Internet.
Usually when diagnosing something like this I will put whatever I'm trying to access in the dmz of the router and see if that works. If it doesn't, it's something on the device vs the router.

A vpn is the safest way to access anything on your home network since everything goes over that secure tunnel. But then your client has to also have that vpn client endpoint software installed and configured.