Question Accessing COM Port from Ethernet

May 27, 2019
I currently managing 2 POS Devices in a Restaurant. The POS is using Windows 7.

1 POS located on the first floor has a printer connected via COM1 port. The printer itself has an LPT Port, the printer comes with an LPT to COM Port. 1 POS located on the second floor doesn't have any printer. (more like an Ordering Station)

What I want is when I ordered from the ordering station I want to print the orders to the printer on the first floor.

I used software from Serial over Ethernet, it works like a charm. But since it was on beta, the trial period is expired today.

Other methods I have tried :

1. Sharing the printer like any modern printer: failed.
  2. creating a TCP/IP Port by typing the 1st Floor POS: failed.
  3. Searching international forum for my case: from what I found, all referring to use (and buy) software for it.
My question is: is there anyway to share the COM port from 1st Floor POS so it's accessible from POS on the 2nd floor directly from Windows without using anykind of softwares?

kanewolf

Titan
The printer has a standard parallel port. Does the application software REQUIRE use of the serial port? If not, I would recommend that you buy an ethernet print server, and then install the printer as a network device. As long as the software supports a standard printer definition, you should be able to have the printer on the network and print to it.

kanewolf

Titan
Plus knowing how these bus apps work, they probably wrote their own printer driver so you have to go back to them for accessories/solutions.
That is why my first question was if the application REQUIRED a serial port.

And, not wanting to spend $$$ ... I only provide a reasonable and appropriate technical option. An ethernet print server is less than $100, so I don't believe it is an unreasonable approach for a business.