Accessing current external hard drive on new computer

sunshnmir

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I just got a new computer with Windows 10 (Jury's still out) and am trying to access my Buffalo external hard drive from it (i believe it is a NAS. It lists on my desktop as LS-CHLD2F). I disabled windows media player cause I don't want to access it through that (screws everything up). I also installed the Buffalo disc on the new computer but that didn't seem to solve anything. I would like it to show up in my network but just don't know how to get it there and obviously don't want to reformat my hard drive. I just want it to be seen. All of my work is on there and need to access it as is. Any ideas? This must be a common issue. Just not sure how to go about it. Any advice is appreciated!

Update: I am now able to access it from the desktop but still isn't showing up when I go to File Explorer then Network. It is a Linkstation.

Solution
Hey there again, sunshnmir!

Since you're not comfortable troubleshooting everything yourself, I'd strongly advise you to contact the manufacturer's customer support for assistance or try using the services of a local PC repair shop. The guys should be able to help you out with determining the source of the issue and putting an end to your headaches.

Hopefully, everything will be working flawlessly afterward.
Keep me posted though!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, sunshnmir!

Good job with the troubleshooting, since you are now able to access it. Unfortunately, some Windows 10 updates cause similar detection issues when it comes to network attached storage. I'd suggest you to try mapping your external NAS storage. Even though this tutorial from our kb concerns a different product, you can still use it and follow the steps for Windows 10: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=IU3ITi

Hope it helps you. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

sunshnmir

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

sunshnmir

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I will try that. Thanks! I've never had to do so much research as with Windows 10. Even for the simple tasks like changing the desktop picture. Frustrating.

Update: When I get to Map the Network Drive and I browse, it only brings up Network and nothing else so it won't let me choose anything. Does that mean it's not recognizing my network or that I didn't set it up correctly? Very possible.

This seems very unfortunate because your network is not recognizing the NAS external drive, however, the network itself is recognized.
I'd suggest you to reset your router and update its firmware from the manufacturer's website or accessing the router interface on your computer.
Then try connecting the NAS external drive to it and see if it will pop up under network on your computer or as a connected device to the router.
Speaking of firmware, make sure you have updated the one on the external drive as well.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting! :)
SuperSoph_WD

sunshnmir

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
So, I have updated the Buffalo Linkstation (I believe. Who can tell anymore. My eyes are filming over). Problem is that it's an older one (LS-CHL). I have also updated Windows 10 thinking that may allow me to install my Photoshop CS3 program which is also not working/installing. Now my NAS isn't showing up in my network (did briefly). The problem is is that I'm not that proficient at computers. Not enough to troubleshoot. But nothing that I need to work, is. Kinda pointless having a new laptop if it just holds down the table. Just tired and crosseyed now. Honestly don't know where to go from here.

Since you're not comfortable troubleshooting everything yourself, I'd strongly advise you to contact the manufacturer's customer support for assistance or try using the services of a local PC repair shop. The guys should be able to help you out with determining the source of the issue and putting an end to your headaches.

Hopefully, everything will be working flawlessly afterward.
Keep me posted though!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution