[SOLVED] Accessing data from a FAT16 SD card in Windows 10

Jan 1, 2020
Hi, I have a piece of medical equipment (a CPAP machine) that writes to a 2GB SD card in FAT16.

I've spent about three hours bashing my head against Google and still can't find a solution: how can I possibly access the data on this card with a PC running Win 10 64 bit? My on-board O2 Micro card reader can't access

I understand this is legacy hardware, but I can't for the life of me find a utility or card reader for sale that can access the FAT16 format. I know there are older cameras and musical equipment that writes to this format, but information online is very sparse.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Just some ideas. I couldn't say for sure if they will work or not.

You could try setting up a DOS 6.22 VM in Virtual Box add the SD card to the VM as an available drive to access the drive from there. Then copy the files to a folder shared between your Virtual Box VM and Windows 10. Not sure if this would work or not.

You could create an Ubuntu Live USB Flash Drive. Boot off that. Then try to mount the SD Card and copy it to your Windows drive or Ubuntu Live USB.

Even more basic. Create a bootable FreeDOS USB flash drive. Boot off that and copy files from the SD Card to the Flash Drive. Then reboot as normal. Copying the files from the Flash Drive to Windows.
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_a_Bootable_DOS_USB_Stick
Just some ideas. I couldn't say for sure if they will work or not.

You could try setting up a DOS 6.22 VM in Virtual Box add the SD card to the VM as an available drive to access the drive from there. Then copy the files to a folder shared between your Virtual Box VM and Windows 10. Not sure if this would work or not.

You could create an Ubuntu Live USB Flash Drive. Boot off that. Then try to mount the SD Card and copy it to your Windows drive or Ubuntu Live USB.

Even more basic. Create a bootable FreeDOS USB flash drive. Boot off that and copy files from the SD Card to the Flash Drive. Then reboot as normal. Copying the files from the Flash Drive to Windows.
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_a_Bootable_DOS_USB_Stick

Solution
Jan 1, 2020
Thanks for your reply, Velocity.

I actually found a card reader (SD to USB) by the manufacturer that is still available in three locations in the States - have sent out email enquiries to check if this still works in a Windows environment, or if it's stock that has been sitting in the back room for 20+ years. Now I know what you're going to say, but none of this is actually explained in any documentation - I found the reader by chance in a Google image search.

If that doesn't work, I'll definitely try your suggestions.

Jan 1, 2020
OKAY I'M AN IDIOT

Why? Because I broke the cardinal rule: always test it in another device.

Got my hands on a Dell with an onboard card reader, popped it in and bang, read the volume with no issues. I feel like slamming my own head in a car door. so, to recap:

ALWAYS TEST WHATEVER IT IS WITH ANOTHER WORKING DEVICE

Thank you and goodbye