Accessing data from an old hard drive?

fraudulent_miracle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I have an old hard drive that i'd like to possibly access some data from (like old music files and such), but i do not know how to. It is a Maxtor Ultra DMA hard drive disk back from 1998 or so, with a capacity of 4.3 gigs! Anyway, I would just like to know whether or not i can retreive data from it without reformatting it . What should i do? I'd greatly appreciate anyone's advice because I am not very tech saavy. Thanks!

fraudulent_miracle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I installed the drive into my computer, but when i try to access it, it says, "this drive has not been formatted. Would you like to format now?" So what do i do now?

fraudulent_miracle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Okay I think i got it... i've been doing more researching. Apparently i did not set the jumpers to slave correctly... so i'll do that, and i should be good.

fraudulent_miracle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
OK sweet, i got it to work. I just had to remove the jumper from the back. Thanks for taking the time to help me out PCcashcow and Pain, i appreciate it. I'm running a virus scan on the drive and it has already found 16 trojan horses (didn't have a antivirus back then)!