accessing data on storage drive

ANGER

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
i have a 160gig wd1600jd western digital hd from my old computer that was used for storage. i cannot access any of the files on it.the drive dosnt show up in my comp and going through the device manager the only option it gives me is to reformat. the drive is allready formated using ntfs and is half full. ive searched the fourms and did find anything. i dont know what to do. am i missing something?
os-win xp pro
mobo-asus a8v
cpu-amd64 x2 4400+
main hd-wd raptor
both drive are sata

thanx for any help you can give me.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I had the exact same problem with my 160 Seagate SATA drive. I reformatted it and it seemed fine at first. I put some files on it and it did it again. This time I got an write error from windows saying it could be hardware failure. I took the drive out and put it in my test machine and it turns out, it was bad. Check the bios and see if it is seeing that drive and also, try using another channel if possible to see if it works.

Good luck! Let us know if you have success with it.

ANGER

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
well after alot of banging my head againts different walls i found a way to get at my data on my storage drive. i turns out the drive works fine but the problem was that on my old computer in order to use a sata drive it had to run through the raid controller. which ment it had to be set up as a single disk array.the mistake i made was setting it to stripping instead of mirroring.so in the end i used a data recovery program called file scavenger to get all my data. when i ran the program it saw the drive as i broken raid.but in the end i recovered all my data.