[SOLVED] Accessing DOS computer without working keyboard connection

Aug 22, 2019
Every time we start to upgrade something at work, the old system breaks down before we're ready.

We are moving out of our DOS Professional File inventory system. Yeah, I know... So, as we're building our inventory system on the new computer, the old computer poops itself.

The keyboard lights up, and the computer boots to the C: prompt, but the computer is not registering any of the keys pressed. Does someone have a suggestion on what I should do?

Thanks

Solution
Ah, ye olde MS-DOS.

Is the keyboard being used connected via USB or PS2? If it is USB, I'd recommend looking around for an old PS2 connector keyboard and trying that.
Another thing to try is to access the BIOS. When booting up, the splash screen should say which button is for the BIOS (or setup, or however the designers named it). Is pressing this, and can you navigate the BIOS with the keyboard?
Ah, ye olde MS-DOS.

Is the keyboard being used connected via USB or PS2? If it is USB, I'd recommend looking around for an old PS2 connector keyboard and trying that.
Another thing to try is to access the BIOS. When booting up, the splash screen should say which button is for the BIOS (or setup, or however the designers named it). Is pressing this, and can you navigate the BIOS with the keyboard?

Solution
Aug 22, 2019
Ah, ye olde MS-DOS.

It's a 5 pin DIN - not mini DIN.. but the half inch diameter connection... from 1994. I was able to access BIOS, but couldn't navigate once I was in there... Thank you.

It's a 5 pin DIN - not mini DIN.. but the half inch diameter connection... from 1994. I was able to access BIOS, but couldn't navigate once I was in there... Thank you.
I see. Well, I doubt this will work, but once you have got the the point where the keyboard doesn't work, with the PC still powered on, unplug then replug the keyboard, and see if this works.

We have a second "vintage" keyboard, but the connector is a 90 degree angle and won't go into the connection due to the case. I'm going to remove the case and try it. Thank you.
Yes, this is also worth trying as it will either confirm or eliminate the idea of a faulty keyboard (unless you are so unlucky as to have two faulty keyboards!)