Accessing external hard drive connected to ASUS RT-AC68U via USB 3.0

junereth

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I recently purchased the ASUS RT-AC68U and was fairly satisfied with what I got until I tried to connect an external hdd to the USB 3.0 slot as a media server that I can access from my PC and my LG TV. Using a computer running 64 bit Windows 10.

I've enabled everything in the Media Server option (Media Server, Samba, FTP) but I only seem to be able to access a few of the folders on my drive. I worked around that issue by specifying (in the DLNA server page) the specific folders that I need to access, so that was sufficient for the TV.

It's the PC access that I'm having trouble with now. Before I set everything up in the first place, when I plugged the disk into the router, I could see the drive from my computer's Network page in Windows Explorer, and I could access everything in the drive as if it were connected to my PC.

Now, however, I can't see the drive in the Network page (selectable from the left pane) anymore, and can only access it from Network Locations (in This PC page) where the view is basically what I can see from my TV (Music, Photos, Videos). Is there a way for me to access it like I did at the start? This current arrangement requires me to download my files from the external to my PC before I can open them, and it can be a huge hassle (my TV can stream the videos just fine, however).

Hey there, junereth!

I'd recommend you to try mapping the drive on your computer, this should help you access the files without having to download them first. Here's an article from MS that might shed some light on the procedure: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-shortcut-to-map-network-drive
If that doesn't help, you might be dealing with some permission issues, so I guess this guide will be useful, too: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html

Hope it helps you. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD