Question Accessing files on a DVR HDD using a laptop ?

May 12, 2023
Hi. not much knowledge with computers. I'm trying to learn but gets a bit confusing at times so bare with me. I'm trying to view/access files from my cctv that may have been deleted. The hdd still works in dvr. On the dvr I can view files on days system was recording. There's a couple day is shows no recordings. When I looked at system log its shows that a user modified those days which leads me to believe they were deleted on purpose. I purchased a sata adapter to connect dvr hdd to my hp laptop. Problem I'm having is laptop won't access files. It shows up as ext hdd *connected to usb 3.0 in devices but does not show up in files. It also shows up in disks and volume and disk management as unallocated. Gives me options to convert to dynamic disk or mbr. I don't want to reformat hdd because I do intend on using it in dvr again. I just want to view files on pc and possibly recover lost data. I've seen recovery sites but they want to charge a small fortune which i do not want to pay especially if recovered files show nothing, Is there any other way of retrieving this lost files.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
problem is it is formatted to work with the cctv hardware and not a windows machine. that's why it is trying to format it.

you need to see if there is some sort of software from the manufacturer that can access it since it is their proprietary system. or at least contact them to se if it is even possible to recover deleted data. set it aside for now so nothing else can change the drive and hope they have some way to recover the data, transfer it to pc or any other option that would be helpful to you.

Can you tell us the model of the DVR? Some DVRs honour DRM by encrypting the files. Others have a proprietary file system which is not recognised by Windows. If you are lucky, yours may be based on a Linux FS.

Can you show us the Partitions tab in DMDE? Can you show us the contents of sector 0?

https://dmde.com/

There is a free tool for Dish and Echostar based DVRs, but we won't know if it will work for you until we peek at sector 0.

May 12, 2023
Can you tell us the model of the DVR? Some DVRs honour DRM by encrypting the files. Others have a proprietary file system which is not recognised by Windows. If you are lucky, yours may be based on a Linux FS.

Can you show us the Partitions tab in DMDE? Can you show us the contents of sector 0?

https://dmde.com/

There is a free tool for Dish and Echostar based DVRs, but we won't know if it will work for you until we peek at sector 0.
Rraycom CCTV System
Digital Video Recorder
model: GS-D6108CT-E15
System:NTSC
Power:Dc 12V/2A
HDD:1 TB

Hard Drive
Toshiba
Disk Drive: DT01ABA100V
Drive Rev: ASA AB10/720
LBA: 1,953,525,168 SECTORS
CHS: 16383/16/63
SATA 6.0Gb/s

Was trying to send pics. Still a newbie at this stuff "image can not be loaded from passed link"