[SOLVED] Accessing Modem Settings

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I have a stupid question. Is it possible to access your modem's settings? I go the IP address to bring up the modem page, but there is no way to login. Anything I google talks about logging into a routers page, but I do not have a router. Wondering if I can change anything in my modem config or if it's off limits?

Solution
Okay gotcha. It's not a modem/router combo. It's an Arris Surfboard 8200. The reason I ask, is because on the config screen, it's using the worst Upstream channel, and i was curious if i could change it to the best of the 3. if that makes any sense. lol

No you cannot change anything, but i do not follow the uses worst upstream explanation. I work in cable (13 years) if you want to prevent it using a certain frequency you get a filter that blocks that frequency. However, DOCSIS 3 supports multiple channel bonding so you should be using multiple channels not just the worst one? I'll wager you are going to 192.168.100.1 which is the internal status page that shows you things like signal levels, error logs, etc.

what is going on...
It is highly unlikely you have just a modem. It likely is a router and modem in the same box. If it has wifi it is likely a router. A modem is a very simple device that only allows a single device to be plugged into it. Even if you could log into them you can not actually change anything just look at some logs and stuff.

If it is a modem/router you should be able to access it via the IP you see in the IPCONFIG command under default gateway.

Although it not likely that they prevent it you should ask your ISP. Almost everyone is allowed to change things like the wifi SSID and password in a router.

I have a stupid question. Is it possible to access your modem's settings? I go the IP address to bring up the modem page, but there is no way to login. Anything I google talks about logging into a routers page, but I do not have a router. Wondering if I can change anything in my modem config or if it's off limits?

Surprised you haven't posted make & model of this device in view of the question.

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Okay gotcha. It's not a modem/router combo. It's an Arris Surfboard 8200. The reason I ask, is because on the config screen, it's using the worst Upstream channel, and i was curious if i could change it to the best of the 3. if that makes any sense. lol

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019

No you cannot change anything, but i do not follow the uses worst upstream explanation. I work in cable (13 years) if you want to prevent it using a certain frequency you get a filter that blocks that frequency. However, DOCSIS 3 supports multiple channel bonding so you should be using multiple channels not just the worst one? I'll wager you are going to 192.168.100.1 which is the internal status page that shows you things like signal levels, error logs, etc.

what is going on and what exactly are you trying to fix?

Reactions: bill001g
Solution

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014

what is going on and what exactly are you trying to fix?

you are absolutely right. and yea I figured I wouldn't be able to change anything. I was told by Arris my upstream power should read 45-51 dBmV. I have 3 channels. Channel ID 29 @ 42, Channel ID 30 @ 44 and Channel ID 31 @ 45. since you state all 3 are being used and it cannot be changed, you've answered my question. When i went on the Config page, it says Upstream Channel ID at 29, so I just assumed it was reading that one only. Forgive me for my ignorance in networking. I talked to Arris and they said my ISP needs to fix it to allow my power to come through. I talk to my ISP, they say Arris needs to fix it. And it's just back and forth. I also understand due to everyone working from home I'm not going to get full proper upload speeds. I'm paying for 50 up and it's usually around 20-25 on a speed test.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
you are absolutely right. and yea I figured I wouldn't be able to change anything. I was told by Arris my upstream power should read 45-51 dBmV. I have 3 channels. Channel ID 29 @ 42, Channel ID 30 @ 44 and Channel ID 31 @ 45. since you state all 3 are being used and it cannot be changed, you've answered my question. When i went on the Config page, it says Upstream Channel ID at 29, so I just assumed it was reading that one only. Forgive me for my ignorance in networking. I talked to Arris and they said my ISP needs to fix it to allow my power to come through. I talk to my ISP, they say Arris needs to fix it. And it's just back and forth. I also understand due to everyone working from home I'm not going to get full proper upload speeds. I'm paying for 50 up and it's usually around 20-25 on a speed test.
arris has a problem with their techs telling people that <Mod Edit>. I have had to deal with it in the past, a 3 db pad on the drop will make those numbers look pretty to them but in reality it does absolutely nothing unless you have noise on your house wires and then the correct solution is not to pad the noise out but to fix the damaged path.

the docsis 3 standard actually specifies the range a docsis 3 device must work and those numbers are not it, its more like 25 to 51 or 53 with extension supported (57 if only one carrier) the standard is available for free from cablelabs.com. It urks me that they keep spouting that but then claim they meet the standard which says otherwise. The best thing you can do is pay attention to the logs for errors (likely t3). If those occur something is wrong with upstream as packets are timing out. Try an isp modem for a month if no issues its definately arris problem, if it keeps happening isp has issues they need to fix. note if its your dwellings wires it may cost you. once this is determined call and explain. if you get no where then file complaint with local state attorneys office or federal trade commission. within one month their high powered attorneys will be asking local management what is wrong with them that they want to incurr $5k court costs for a $100 problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
okay, will do Wacabletech06, thanks for your insight. I should also mention my previous modem was struck by lightning a few weeks back and fried my modem and ethernet port. I had to get a new modem and install a NIC to get back online. I'm lucky the whole PC didn't fry. Before that happened, I wasn't doing speed tests often so I'm not sure if the upload was down before then. My previous package deal was 60 down and 5 up(old package) and when I read the test after the strike, I was only getting 2 up. My down is fine now and in the mornings the upload is okay. right now my upload just read 33.

I had a tech out here for hours, he came out for free and changed all my cable ends. My upload that day was reading 1mb when it should be 40-50. I went and got a 3.1 modem and it's better but still around 20mb, there must be some issue. He said if it keeps up to get maintenance out here. and this whole everyone working from home thing just happens to be going on which is a factor. in fact, I will start working from home myself next week which is why I have upgraded my net.

I will keep tabs on the errors on the status page