Accessing USB printer connected to DIR-850L by IP address?

Thumpasaur

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
I have a client that I'll be switching out an existing wired router for a wireless router. The purpose of the wireless router is for their iPads to communicate with for internet access in order for their PoS software to communicate with two PoS printers.

The two printers are identical models (Epson TM-T88V), but one has an ethernet card installed, making it easy to setup, while the other does not, requiring a USB connection.

The PoS software that the client uses simply asks for the printers IP addresses that manually needs to be input; it doesn't scan for network printers. My question is if I connect the one PoS printer to the router via USB, is it possible to access that printer with an IP address?

I tested the setup last night with my laptop and discovered D-Link's "SharePort" utility, which is great, but I won't be able to use that here. However, the utility showed the IP of the printer was 192.168.0.1. That obviously being the default gateway, I have my doubts on whether this setup will work.

Thoughts?

Solution
My only thought is that it requires special software and a standard TCP/IP port won't work. As an alternative, have you looked at standalone print servers? The IOgear one is decent (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F83373891&cm_re=print_server-_-33-139-009-_-Product). HP makes really nice ones, but they mostly just work with HP printers.

You say one of the Epson printers comes with a card installed ... can you purchase that card and install it?
My only thought is that it requires special software and a standard TCP/IP port won't work. As an alternative, have you looked at standalone print servers? The IOgear one is decent (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F83373891&cm_re=print_server-_-33-139-009-_-Product). HP makes really nice ones, but they mostly just work with HP printers.

You say one of the Epson printers comes with a card installed ... can you purchase that card and install it?

Solution

Thumpasaur

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Yea, I had come across those little printer servers that would make for an ideal and simple solution, after I got home. I had also mentioned the NIC that could be installed into the Epson printer, which would be just as simple. I'll have to see what they want to do. Thanks for your insight/input!

TRENDING THREADS