Accessing wd my book 2tb to xp 2002

kanetibby

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hello,

How do I access or format my wd my book essential 2tb? I have windows xp 2002 model. It appears to register when I right click "my computer" and go to "manage" and check disk drives, but does not show up on basic "my computer" selection without even recognizing it as a disk drive at all, then can't seem to access it at all

Did it ever have data, or is it new and blank? In the latter case, you may need this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system . But a new WD drive should have come partitioned and formatted.

If it ever had data, and you want that data, it's a different issue. Have you tried the drive with another computer? Can you open Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management tab? What does it show for that device?

We;ll be here when you have the information.

kanetibby

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
It has data already that was first put on by another MAC computer when it was brand new and I have a PC. Have tried this with another PC computer and it does not read it also, however seems to recognize this when you go into 'my computer' and right click 'manage' and in disk drives says it recognizes 'my e book' etc as a hard disk, but still cannot even open it up to even view files. I have computer that runs on xp 2002 and believe it is a 32-bit resolution, have tried everything I can think of and it is starting to give me brain damage...