[SOLVED] Accident with chrome.

Stelios Giatrellis

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
I'm desperate guys, I'm crying 2 days now trying to solve this.
I cleared all my data on my chrome browser (windows 10) without logging out and now I've lost all of my passwords.
One thing that I tried is system restore point but always an error shows up(check attached photo)
Also tried the previous version of chrome user Data solution but no previous versions shows up and shadow explorer , no luck too.
I tried to solve it by my self without success.
I have an Acronis Back up that I made 3 years ago, I don't if that would be a help.
I just wonder if there is any possibility , Google to hold some kind of back ups. May be a silly questions , please don't get me wrong.
What do you think?

Solution
Unless you specifically set it up, Google Cloud would not be saving your data.

What sort of passwords: banks, shopping websites, game sites....?

Forum rules prohibit assistance with recovering, hacking, or otherwise working around security measures.

About all you can do is start logging into your various password protected accounts and go through the "lost" or "forgotten" password process.

Very much doubt that the Acronis Backup will help even if recoverable. Too much has changed in three years and likely/hopefully you have changed passwords in the meantime. Sometimes we are made to do so....

Not sure at all about the failed restore. There are number of reasons that that error is presented. File corruption perhaps.

Try...

Ralston18

Titan
Unless you specifically set it up, Google Cloud would not be saving your data.

What sort of passwords: banks, shopping websites, game sites....?

Forum rules prohibit assistance with recovering, hacking, or otherwise working around security measures.

About all you can do is start logging into your various password protected accounts and go through the "lost" or "forgotten" password process.

Very much doubt that the Acronis Backup will help even if recoverable. Too much has changed in three years and likely/hopefully you have changed passwords in the meantime. Sometimes we are made to do so....

Not sure at all about the failed restore. There are number of reasons that that error is presented. File corruption perhaps.

Try running "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

"dism" is another similar option that can be used.

However, before doing anything ensure that all current data is backed up and verified to be recoverable and readable.

Solution
"Clearing all data" also means "clear all data - bookmarks, cookies, passwords, etc". You've burned your safe - by your instructions.

The "Restore previous state" screenshot shows a problem well outside of Google stored data. Check whether you've enabled "File History" option in your Windows installation, and whether APpData folder is included there.

You know now that you should either sync your Chrome browser with Google could, or use password manager with its own sync feature, or keep a paper copy of your passwords.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
May 11, 2020
I would take this as a learning experience and invest in a password manager like lastpass. it's freee and cross platform. you can even import passwords from chrome or generate new ones randomly

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
keep a paper copy of your passwords.

Terrible advice. It seems good, but it isn't.

You see, when someone breaks into your house and steals your computer(s) and the notebook you wrote all those passwords in they have access to everything, including the email that you would recover said passwords and such to AFTER you get access to a computer to start resetting. In the meantime they have set measures in place to basically take everything that has value like banking info, credit card info, social security info, gaming site passwords....It is a HUGE nightmare. Ask me how I know....;)

I have found that using a self created system in reference to the service and desired password strength the best, keep that system in your head, and refresh your passwords a time or two a year.

LastPass for the WIn!!!!

Relying on a browser to remember everything? :( I'm frankly surprised this did not happen much sooner....)

(If you don't trust Lastpass technology/methods, then simply encrypt an alphabetized Notepad doc with 7-zip, keep a copy on the desktop, and, store the encrypted doc in 2-3 cloud locations whenever you update it...)

Mythical example format:

AOL/MyCoolScreenName Password1!
BankofAMerica/Mye-mail@duh.com P@ssword2#
Facebook (sheep@zuckerborg.com) EasyPassword3!
Google (Account@gmail.com) GoogP@55