accidental acer sys file backup formatted & created 2 partitions

hanschal

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I hope someone can help with this. I have a 2TB WD My Book Esentials portable hard drive with all of my pictures, family memories from generations including video's extacted from old films that are now gone, legal documents and personal files along with passwords for all my programs, banking, email etc, and so much more.

I forgot to disconnect the hard drive when I had to do a fresh install on my Acer E 17 laptop. Before doing the format I chose an option to save system files. In the popup I missed the option to change the drive letter from the portable drive to a 32g USB that I had incerted. It also changed the hard drive from an NTFS to a FAT32. When I realized what happened I quickly unplugged the hard drive but, it was too late. The entire process had already completed.

When I plugged the drive back in the 2TB drive now displays as a 31.9gb hard drive. The format created two partitions - 2016gb and 746.49gb.

Is there a way to unformat and retrieve all the files even after a file has been written to the drive, and more than one partition was created? Please help me.

I appreciate everyones time and assistance and thank you in advance for knowledge in there matters.

Kim

hanschal

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Thank you for your help! What I did and trying to retrieve my losses is so above my knowledge of computers. I'll click on the link you created for the software and will let you know whether it worked. I PRAY IT DOES!

Thank you again!

Kim

hanschal

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Well, I used the deepscan option as suggested. Unfortunatley, it only read from the 31.9 gb section that the Acer progam created. I don't know if it scanned the other two section.

The other two sections created by Acer during the back up are unallocated. One is 2016 gb, the other is 764.49 gb. I'm guessing the unallocated means everything after the format may have been deleted.

If the partions are deleted would that damage any chance of retrieving any files from those two sections?