Accidental dual booting win7

AceScottie

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
In my system i have 2 drives (C and D) originally i had just the D drive and had windows installed on it. To prevent the loss of data when switching to the C drive i installed windows onto the C drive before formatting the D drive.the problem is when installing windows the 100mb reserved space was already on the D drive and the windows installer just uesd that instead of recreating it on the C drive. Now when i start my computer it gives me the option of 2 windows installations to choose from, however the second option can never load because it is just the reserved files on the D drive. Also if i remove the D drive from the computer windows will no load at all. Is there a way i can clone the 100mb reserved space over to the C drive and delete it from the D drive. it may not be much but it take an extra 30 seconds to start up and now i can never remove the D drive when faults happen.

USAFRet

Titan
Is this a brand new install on the new drive?
You have two options to fix:

1. Disconnect all other drives, and reinstall.

2. Disconnect all other drives, and boot from your Windows install media. Select Repair. That will probably fix the issue.

Windows does that. If more than one drive is connected when you install, it puts the boot partition on the other drive. If that other drive alread has a boot partition, it just adds to that. Annoying, but fixable.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

I had 2 HD's and had the same problem as you describe. I did what the guy in that vid has done and the problem was sorted. I Just made my C: drive boot from MS Config and not my backup D: drive.